Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

Posted Feb 24, 2020 09:11 PM

I'm working through a design to try to add multizone to my existing network, and I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Currently I have about 1,300 APs, all licensed for AP and PFE, on a single cluster, with the configuration under /md/campus.  I only want to enable multizone on 34 APs, so it seems way overkill to have to add 1,300 RFP licenses.  I do have an extra pair of controller appliances, though.

What I believe should work is:

• Create a new folder /md/campus/multizone
    • Create a new license profile for /md/campus/multizone that gets 34 each AP, PFE, and RFP licenses
    • Put the pair of new controllers in a new cluster in /md/campus/multizone
    • Create a new AP profile, and reprovision the 34 APs, to point them at the new cluster

Does this configuration make sense?  And if so...

• What do I have to do to make sure the /md/campus folder does not attempt to use any RFP licenses?
    • Can I have controllers in /md/campus and /md/campus/multizone, or can controller clusters only exist in leaf node folders?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 24, 2020 09:19 PM

Your Data Zone controllers would need to be in another management domain. Your Primary MM environment needs to be different from your Data Zone Controllers. You could do this in a standalone non-MM setup, or another environment managed by another MM. You will have to have at least one PEF license in the Data Zone controllers to enable the firewall capabilities.

• 3.  RE: Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

Posted Feb 24, 2020 09:23 PM

Just to clarify, I do have a separate controller not described here that's dedicated to the datazone role.  I'm just trying to figure out a way that I can only purchase licenses for the 34 APs I actually want the datazone AP advertised on, rather than the full 1,300.  The situation I'm proposing would have two separate controller clusters on the primary zone, only one of which is licensed for RFP and configured for multizone, in two different folders.

• 4.  RE: Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 10:34 AM

Yes I can see that working with assigning a license pool of just 34 to that cluster.

• 5.  RE: Question about multizone and licensing pools interaction

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 10:35 AM

To address having a controller in two folders at the same time, that can not happen.