Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

Posted Aug 04, 2013 01:46 PM

Hello all,

I am looking into purchasing a second-hand controller, but I have a few questions regarding ArubaOS. First and foremost: is it possible to erase ArubaOS from a controller?

Secondly, if it is possible to erase the software from a controller, how can I go about LEGALLY obtaining ArubaOS? I do not have a support contract, but I do have a valid serial number on my current controller. I DO NOT want to play fast or loose with Aruba's licensing rules.

Thirdly, just for knowledge, where is the ArubaOS stored on a 5000/6000 Series Chassis?

Thanks for any help in advance!

• 2.  RE: Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2013 01:51 PM

You will need a support contract to access the latest versions of code and you will need to transfer or purchase AP licenses as well as PEF licenses (if needed) to the controller. AOS 6.3 has centralized licensing which allows the controller to "check out" a license as it needs it.

The 5000/6000 is just a chasis. The OS is stored on the M3 or SUP controller modules.

• 3.  RE: Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

Posted Aug 04, 2013 01:57 PM

Thanks for your fast reply, Tim. I was worried about that response in regards to ArubaOS, but it was expected as I didn't think they would just give it away.

I'm somewhat worried about purchasing the controller because I don't know if it even has ArubaOS on it? Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the OS from the modules? I know the controller has the Supervisor module and it also has no Compact Flash card in it.

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2013 02:01 PM
    I?ll let someone from Aruba take that piece. I don?t know the licensing
    particulars for used gear other than that you need AP and PEF licenses that
    are tied to the serial.

• 5.  RE: Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

Posted Aug 04, 2013 02:02 PM

I do have licenses that are on my current controller. I'm not sure if they are transferrable?

• 6.  RE: Questions about a new controller and ArubaOS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2013 02:09 PM
    Are these going to be in a master/local setup? What code are you planning
    to run? 6.3 will allow you to "share" the licenses without transferring
    them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10