Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:58 AM

Hi all,

On Friday, our corporate wireless stopped authenticating users via NPS/RADIUS. I have researched this problem and have checked various items. The first thing I read was to make sure the server certificate had not expierd, which it hasn't. I even created a new cert just in case, but no luck there. I also rebuilt the NPS and RADIUS settings on our 2008R2 DC, but it still will not work. I then installed NPS on our other DC and pointed our Aruba controller to that server and it has the same event in event viewer:

Audit Failure

Reason: An internal error occurred. Check the system event log for additional information.

I check the system event logs and nothing is there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2016 09:09 AM
    Those are the obvious things I would check. Do both the servers have the same failure message? That is odd...

• 3.  RE: RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

Posted Mar 28, 2016 09:21 AM

They do. Same message. My next thought is to spin up a 2012R2 server and set it up to be that RADIUS authentication server. We did install Windows Updates on Thrusday evening and this came up after. We have since reverted all updates, but no luck.

***Edited for spelling fail...

• 4.  RE: RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2016 09:34 AM
    You might want to contact Microsoft. It could be anything after an update...

• 5.  RE: RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

Posted Mar 31, 2016 12:27 PM

Any other thoughts/suggestions? I have reached out and posted on the TechNet forums but have had no luck there either. Another thing to note is that when I run the AAA Auth test from the Aruba, it authenticates fine. For whatever reason, the clients will not authenticate (windows, iOS, OSX...).

• 6.  RE: RADIUS failing to authenticate all of a sudden

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2016 01:52 PM

I think you should open a TAC case, because as you go along, you are revealing more information.  It is only fair to give someone all of your information so that they can try to understand what is happening.  On this forum, we would only be able to guess based on the limited information you are giving us, and that might not be enough.