Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP 155 without cpsec

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP 155 without cpsec

Posted Jul 13, 2015 11:31 AM

Hi all, I have a requirement to set up some RAP 155's but cannot use cpsec because of the age of some of the AP's, can these be used with a pre shared key ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: RAP 155 without cpsec

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2015 11:44 AM
    In a campus setting, no access points require cpsec. Are you setting up raps?

• 3.  RE: RAP 155 without cpsec

Posted Jul 13, 2015 11:48 AM

Colin, yes sorry thats what im after, RAP 155's

• 4.  RE: RAP 155 without cpsec

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2015 11:50 AM

You can use certificate based RAP authentication for the newer access points, and IKE preshared/username password for the older RAPs at the same time.  The older APs would not use the RAP whitelist.

• 5.  RE: RAP 155 without cpsec

Posted Jul 14, 2015 03:34 AM

Colin, yes ok I get this. These are IAP's that you convert to RAP's.  So I guess to give them the correct boot info I need to first convert to CAPS, then provision them on the controller as RAPS and then deploy.

If this is the case I assume under the provisioning page that I set the controller IP as the public FW IP ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: RAP 155 without cpsec
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2015 03:38 AM

You can convert them directly to Remote APs.  No need to convert them to CAPs first.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/IAP_maintenance/ConvertingIAPtoRAP.htm?Highlight=convert

You do need to add the IAPs mac address to the RAP whitelist on the Aruba Controller.  The ip address you put into the IAP's convert box should be the public ip address of the controller.  That ip address will be burned into the flash and that is the ip address the RAP will always attempt to connect to after conversion, unless it is reprovisioned.

remote-ap.png