Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

Posted Jun 03, 2015 09:31 AM

Hello. 

I have an Aruba RAP-2WG-EU. 

Software Version: ArubaOS Version 3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1

It worked out of the box few years ago. I didn't use it for a year or so. I now want to use it and it doesn't seem to register with the controller. (with the same controller that I was working before).

I have been working with the team who manages the controller for last 2 months and we have not been able to get it work. My account on the controller is valid, my account was deleted and re-created and the RAP still doesn't register.

I do a factory reset, connect the proper cables and login to the web interface, provide the IP address of the controller, it connects and then after around 10 minutes, it reboots (persumablly to load the configuration). when it comes back, it never registers. The reboot goes on forever every 10+ minutes. I have factory reset it several times and left it over night to try to do its thing. 

I have also tried several different internet providers just to ensure no firewalls, no speed problems, no funny stuff. 

When I connect to the web interface, it says:

- Connecting to mobility controller;

- Retrieving IP information (green tick)

- Testing connectivity to gateway (green tick - 0% packet loss)

- Initializing TPM certificates (green tick)

- Establishing connection to Master IP (ip.address) (green tick)

- Continuing .... round circle till it reboots

from the logs, I see:

#RECV 80 bytes from ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)
    #SEND 80 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)
    #RECV 128 bytes from ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)

however from the logs I can see that the AP rebooted because it was unable to access the controller:
    AP rebooted Tue May 24 10:07:53 PST 2015; sapd_old_msg_send: Unable to contact switch

looking back at the logs, I see that the AP receives date, then sends back and it doesn't get a response. it tries it few times,

#RECV 160 bytes from ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (5.0)
    IKE_addIPsecKey(isakmp=39d7a81c)
    ESP spi=5323e800 ip.add.re.ss << ano.ther.ipadd.ress NAT:4500*
    spd=43036 exp=7200 secs
    auth=sha1 encr=aes IPSEC_keyAddEx()
    ESP spi=636a4000 ano.ther.ipadd.ress << ip.add.re.ss NAT:4500*
    spd=0 exp=7200 secs
    auth=sha1 encr=aes IPSEC_keyAddEx()
    10.10.0.100config_tunnel ret:0 ifconfig tun0 10.10.0.100 pointopoint 10.10.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.255 mtu 1300 up
    config_tunnel ret:0 tun0 a010186
    send_sapd_tunup: PAPI_Send RC_OPCODE_PPP_UP ip:a010186 apgroup:XXXX
    Quick Initiator 2 -->
    HASH(3) 96 a9 de f9 39 26 8a 67 9c bd 4c 95 0d d1 62 bf
    3b 65 63 b4
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (9.0)
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (13.0)
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (18.0)
    #SEND 64 bytes to ip.add.re.ss:4500 (22.0)

according to the team that maintains the controller, this is the problem with my RAP.

Any suggestions what I may do?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 09:34 AM
    We need the help of the people who maintain the controller. The Rap2wn will require an upgrade depending on the version of code on the controller.

• 3.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

Posted Jun 03, 2015 09:40 AM

Thanks for quick reply.

Could you please advice what I may ask them to try? According to them, they have tried everything.

Also, regarding the upgrade: is it possible that there is few versions differences between the RAP FW and the FW on the controller, hence the RAP does not continue with the upgrade? According to the logs, the communication stops from the controller side and the RAP simply reboots after that

• 4.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 09:43 AM
    They should open a case with support. This probably too complicated to solve here. If it was working before, they should revert their changes and try again. If it never worked, the possibilities are endless and they should open a case with TAC.

• 5.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

Posted Jun 03, 2015 10:07 AM

I understand. 

This RAP has worked earlier with the controller.

in the past year or so , several changes might have been done to the controller. It won't be an easy task to go back change by change to figure which one caused it. 

Is there a way to confirm this RAP is working fine? For example does Aruba Networks have a demo environment to connect this RAP and check it?

• 6.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 07:49 PM

If that RAP2WN is connecting to a controller that is on ArubaOS 5.x and above, it needs to have its backup partion upgraded:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-do-I-upgrade-the-backup-partition-image-of-RAP-5X-RAP-2WG/ta-p/182478

Unfortunately, that requires specific versions (5.x) of ArubaOS, because if the controller is upgraded to 6.x, the AP cannot connect to it to do the backup image upgrade.  

• 7.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

Posted Jun 04, 2015 04:59 AM

ok. Thanks. 

If we assume for a moment that the problem could be the upgrading, then if I understand correctly:

- If the controller is on ArubaOS 6.x, then it could be a reason why my RAP is not able to get upgraded coz it's running on 3.x

if the controller is on ArubaOS 5.x, then it's still a problem because the RAP itself can't get upgraded and it needs to be manually upgraded. 

- Should the controller be on ArubaOS 5.x, then the commands described in the link you provided should be executed on the controller.

- Should the controller be on ArubaOS 6.x, what can I do? How can I get the RAP upgraded?

Thanks

• 8.  RE: RAP 2WG - not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2015 06:36 AM

The controller MUST be on 5.x.  You can contact support and see if they still have a controller on 5.x that they can help you with remotely.