Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 24, 2015 04:09 PM

I won the RAP-3 for attending a conference. I've been using for some time and works fine, except some areas of my house. I bought a pair of NetGear wireless extenders and connected (wirelessly of course) to the RAP-3. However, with my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone) connected to the extender, they are unable to access the network. I called NetGear, and they said as I'm connecting to an AP instead of a wireless router, that DHCP will only allow one device to connect and work through the wifi extender. I'm not a tech guy, but that seems odd to me, and I'm hoping that somebody in this community would have an idea on how to make this work. I appreciate any answers/suggestions. 

If NetGear is correct, they are telling me to extend the wireless signal from my Linksys router, but I had disabled that and connected the RAP-3 via ethernet cable to place the AP near the center of my house. It seems like it ought to work with the RAP-3.

• 2.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 24, 2015 04:12 PM
    Are they acting like a bridge or joined as a wireless client?

Sent from Nine

• 3.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 26, 2015 02:29 PM

Hi Tim,

I'm not really sure. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX3920.aspx

Not a lot of detail here on their page, but I'm hoping it may make sense to you.

Thanks Tim!

Don

• 4.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 24, 2015 10:59 PM

Dodrury, can you list the exact model of your Netgear Wifi devices.

- Did you check the firmware version on your Netgear extenders? You might have to update the firmware (It did fix couple of issues that I had with my Cisco/Linksys N-300 AP that I am using as an extender).

- Do you see your AP listed on your Netgear extenders (when you search for the wireless AP's)? If yes, what is the signal strength? Are you using a particular channel for the connection between your AP and WiFi extenders (make sure that the channel is not interfering with another device)?

Also, make sure that you are using the same security settings (WPA, WPA2) on your extender when you try to connect to either Linksys or RAP-3 with your Netgear devices. (I hope that you are not using WEP).

S.R.

ACMP | CWNA | CWSP

• 5.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 25, 2015 02:09 AM

On your RAP3 do u see the Netgear ap acting as a client? or u see some clients trying to get an IP from same MAC address?

I also encounter such an issues when the reapter (DLINK DAP1360) act as a client in front iAP-103 and not as a bridge..(anyone else? any workarounds for "extenders 3rd party or repeaters" ? it's important in those IoT days :)

• 6.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 26, 2015 03:36 PM

Hi S.R.

NetGear EX3920-100NAS and I've updated the firmware on these to V1.0.0.44_1.0.22. I was able to connect via my phone, but then my laptop connected and I was unable to access email/web from either device. 

I could see the Aruba RAP-3 when installing the Netgear extenders and signal strength was fine. I'm not sure how to tell the signal strength via measurement, or what channel these devices are connecting to the RAP-3. Security settings are also the same.

Thanks!

Don

• 7.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Dec 26, 2015 09:54 PM
    Do u see both clients in the IAP gui?
    (your laptop/cellphone and netgear extander?)
    do u see all of them as same MAC address?

• 8.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Jan 01, 2016 08:49 PM

Hi kdisc98,

I ended up taking the IAP out of the equation and used one Netgear as an AP, and the other as an extender. Everything works fine at this point. 

• 9.  RE: RAP-3 and want to extend the signal in my house using some NetGear WiFi Extenders. Doesn't work.

Posted Jan 03, 2016 03:51 AM
    Thanks for the update. (I Also recommended my client to do MESH deployment based on the abilities of the IAP itself)
    But on this IoT days ..it will be good if there will be a workaround in IAP to connect AP Clients in order to share the connectivity.