Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

Posted May 06, 2015 10:04 AM

I purchased my RAP 5 for a specific purpose 4 years ago.  Now that I have updated to 6.4 85 days agoa, the Rap5 will no longer work.  It is absolutly useless.  Can anyone tell me why?

• 2.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:05 AM

The last code supported for the RAP-5 was AOS 6.3.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/

• 3.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

Posted May 06, 2015 10:11 AM

Thanks for the list of hw and sw expirations.  You still did not answer the question.  Why is a product I just purchased in fall of 2012 EOL and unsuable?  At least Cisco gives you 7 years on a product with the support.

• 4.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:12 AM

It is still supported by TAC and is supported on the 6.3 code train which is still an active code train until April 2018.

It went end of sale in early 2013. You may want to speak with your Aruba or partner SE about a RAP-109 or RAP-155.

• 5.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

Posted May 06, 2015 10:15 AM

Is there a doc that shows how to access the RAP5 as a stand alone?  From a port console?

• 6.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:16 AM

What are you trying to do? The RAP-5 was pre-Instant.

• 7.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

Posted May 06, 2015 10:20 AM

m not rolling back my software across our campus for 1 RAP5.  Is there a way to access a managemtn interface on it.  Does it have a management interface outside of connectinng it to the network, obviously I can't get to it that way either.

• 8.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:24 AM

MemphisBrothers,

The RAP5 cannot operate without a controller.  The technology pre-dates IAPs, which can be configured and operate alone without a controller.  The only "management interface"  built into the device only allows it to connect to a RAP controller running ArubaOS 6.3 and below.  With that being said, what do you want to do the RAP5, since you are not downgrading?

• 9.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

Posted May 06, 2015 10:32 AM

Sell it to someone still using 6.3 or older.  I guess I can reset ot to factory defaults to make sure there is no configs on it pertaining to our environment. 

• 10.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:35 AM

MemphisBrothers,

You can certainly do that by sticking a paper clip into the hole above the ethernet ports and powering it up for 10 seconds.

• 11.  RE: RAP 5 Will not work with Aruba OS 6.4. Why?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:12 AM

In addition, the release notes for all versions of 6.4 state -

"AP Support ArubaOS 6.3.x.x will be the last release to support the RAP-5 access point. ArubaOS 6.3 will be supported at least through October 31st 2018. Individual AP support dates will vary based on their end of sale date. See the Aruba end of support page"

If you can, please take the opportunity to read the release notes for the version of 6.4 that you are on, so that you have no more surprises.