Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-5WN Firmware Update

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP-5WN Firmware Update

Posted Mar 13, 2012 04:55 PM

All,

In the last month, we upgraded our 6000/M3 controller's firmware to 6.x.x.  Now, our RAPS, will not pull a configuration from the controller. 

I called Tech Support that told me that I need to put 5.x.x on the backup partition on the controller, downgrade to it when there is downtime, let the Raps upgrade their two firmware partitions to it, then move back to 6.x.x.  I guess once the Raps are at 6.x.x they will grab the configuration assigned to them. 

Tech support asked if I had a backup/secondary controller which we are in the works of getting but do not have yet.  Also, told me to talk to my SE about using theirs to get the Rap's firmware up to date.

In any case, is there not another way I can upgrade the firmware on the Raps through some sort of console cable.  If proprietary, I may even by it. 

Thanks for your time and any assistance,

• 2.  RE: RAP-5WN Firmware Update

Posted Mar 13, 2012 05:28 PM

No, the only way to do it is to get a controller that's on 5.x.  How many RAPs are you looking at?

• 3.  RE: RAP-5WN Firmware Update

Posted Mar 15, 2012 09:45 AM

Like four - RAP-5WNs.  Two other RAP-5WNs are working.  How?  I am to go onsite and see what their firmware be. 

So, no way I can console in to RAP-5WN and update firmware to updated version? 

• 4.  RE: RAP-5WN Firmware Update

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2012 09:56 AM

@mcarson wrote:

Like four - RAP-5WNs.  Two other RAP-5WNs are working.  How?  I am to go onsite and see what their firmware be. 

So, no way I can console in to RAP-5WN and update firmware to updated version? 

No, you cannot.  It requires a controller on 5.x, unfortunately.

• 5.  RE: RAP-5WN Firmware Update

Posted Mar 15, 2012 11:08 AM

You can see what firmware is in each partition by executing:

show ap image version ap-name <ap-name>

on the controller the AP is connected to.

I have seen...once...where a RAP-2WG successfully connected to a 6.x controller when it had 3.x code in its provisioning partition.  3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1 specifically.  It was more of an accident that someone did that.