Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP License requirement

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  RAP License requirement

Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:22 AM

Hi,

Needs some help here, new to Aruba and still confuse with license :

1. On Aruba OS 8.4 what license is required to RAP ?
    2. On Mobility Controller, can we have more AP license than PEF License, for example i have 10 AP License and 5 PEF License. How many AP and RAP i can enable ?
    3. Whats the benefit IAP VPN ?

• 2.  RE: RAP License requirement
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 28, 2019 11:43 AM

You want to make sure you have the same amount of AP and PEF .

The RAPs use the same license as the campus Aps (AP/PEF/RFP)

The difference between RAP(Manage via MM/MC) vs IAP-VPN
    RAP:
    Requires a controller license
    All the config is pushed from MM/MC
    The RAPs terminate on the MC
    You can extend L2 VLANs (reside at HQ)
    No L3 distributed support

IAP-VPN
    Doesn’t require a controller license (you could use PEFV to additional customization to the default config)
    It can be managed via IAP local interface or AirWave (if AirWave is used then you will need an AirWave license per IAP)
    The MC acts as the VPN a VPN concentrator
    You can deploy it in L3 distributed (more flexible) , L3 is the recommended method (The IAP acts as the DHCP server for each site and the subnet can be extended to HQ via static routing or dynamic routing using OSPF)

You can also deploy it in L2 Centralized (extend the L2 VLANs)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: RAP License requirement

Posted Jul 02, 2019 05:40 AM

So IAP VPN is better cause it got flexibility to have more AP and roaming while it doesn't need controller license :D thanks Aruba

How do i treat client on wired side, do i make  their gateway to the VC on branch IAP ?

• 4.  RE: RAP License requirement

Posted Jul 02, 2019 06:33 AM
    So IAP VPN is better cause it got flexibility to have more AP and roaming while it doesn't need controller license :D thanks Aruba

I think it depends on the business needs / requirements . If roaming is required then IAP-VPN cluster is a better solution vs using multiple APs as RAPs.

How do i treat client on wired side, do i make their gateway to the VC on branch IAP ?

If the subnet/VLAN/DHCP is configured as L3-Distributed then yes

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile