Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP - Slow Down

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  RAP - Slow Down

Posted Jan 13, 2015 09:15 AM

I have had an issue with my RAP's(RAP3 WN) where they start to act like i have a bandwidth cap turned on.  In the AP group for the RAP's i do not have any Bandwidth Contracts setup so the RAP should work as fast as the Wireless/Home internet will let it.  

What i have seen is that after a while which is many months the RAP will start to act as though i do have bandwith contracts in place.  For example i had a user say that the a RAP started to limit them to 1Mb x 1Mb.  I would bring the RAP back and give it a factory reset and the problem would go away.  This has happened about 4-5 times now over several software versions.  Anyone else seen this before?  Is there a way to see from the controller what speed the wired port negotiated?  Its not always 1x1, so i dont think its a wired port problem, but would like to check anyway just to covera all my bases.

• 2.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2015 10:44 AM

@mwallen wrote:

I have had an issue with my RAP's(RAP3 WN) where they start to act like i have a bandwidth cap turned on.  In the AP group for the RAP's i do not have any Bandwidth Contracts setup so the RAP should work as fast as the Wireless/Home internet will let it.  

What i have seen is that after a while which is many months the RAP will start to act as though i do have bandwith contracts in place.  For example i had a user say that the a RAP started to limit them to 1Mb x 1Mb.  I would bring the RAP back and give it a factory reset and the problem would go away.  This has happened about 4-5 times now over several software versions.  Anyone else seen this before?  Is there a way to see from the controller what speed the wired port negotiated?  Its not always 1x1, so i dont think its a wired port problem, but would like to check anyway just to covera all my bases.

Do you have a wired VLAN on the RAP3 that is extended from your infrastructure?  If you do not have broadcast-multicast optimization enabled on that VLAN, broadcasts from your infrastructure will slowly kill the performance on that RAP.

• 3.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

Posted Jan 13, 2015 10:46 AM

I have the same 802.1x network that we use on campus.  It does have BC/MC optimization enabled.  

I forgot to mention we are running on 6.4.2.3 right now, but i have seen this issue pop up back into the 6.1 software as well as on some RAP 2 models as well.  

• 4.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2015 10:55 AM

mwallen,

It is very hard for us to determine what is going on this forum especially across ArubaOS software versions.  You also did not say if you have wired, wireless or both types of users connected to the RAP that are having the issue.

Are you certain that the VLAN on the controller has bcmc-optimization enabled?  Are you certian that "drop broadcast and multicast" is enabled on all Virtual APs on the access point?

Traffic from the RAP to the infrastructure if fully tunneled will never match the performance of the WAN circuit due to (1) Serialization delays (2) Reduced performance due to ipsec encryption/decryption (3) the variability of the internet.

When this happens, you need to look at the access in the access point using "show ap debug system status ap-name <name of ap>" to get a picture of how the access point is performing from a hardware perspective.

We are not able to gather enough information about your infrastructure on this forum to determine what is going on conclusively, because your problem could be so many things.  I would open up a support case in parallel, because we do not have enough information to replicate exactly what you are seeing.

• 5.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

Posted Mar 11, 2016 02:56 PM

mwallen,

Any resolution to this issue?  I am having the same issue with some of my RAP-3WNs.  I have opened a support case and am currently troubleshooting with TAC.  Before I get much deeper into troubleshooting I wanted to see if your issue is resolved and how you resolved it.

I am running 7240 Controllers running 6.3.1.18 code.

• 6.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

Posted Mar 11, 2016 03:00 PM
    Unfortunately, I was never able to get a solution and it is still an ongoing issue. If you get anywhere, please share as I would love to solve this.

• 7.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

Posted Jun 24, 2016 04:17 AM

Hello,

is there a solution for this problem?

We have the same issue, reproduceable on 2 controllers with RAP3

Best regards,

Matthias

• 8.  RE: RAP - Slow Down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2016 06:10 AM
    Please answer the questions in my post above fore your deployment.