Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP mode AP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  RAP mode AP

Posted May 17, 2013 02:16 AM

I have 42 AP's in RAP mode in my campus connected to the master controller over a 10 Mbps WAN link. Clients in my campus experience frequent disconnectivity issues. At times no one is able to connect to the access point and only after rebooting the access point, clients are able to connect.

On discussing the same with our partner, I was told that 10 Mbps WAN link is insufficient for 42 AP's. According to them, each RAP requires 100-150 kbps bandwidth. ( This was communicated to the partner by Aruba TAC)

I have fully deployed the Aruba solution and dont understand a way out of it. Can I know through anyways that the AP has gone in hang state before any user reports it.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: RAP mode AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2013 04:02 AM

Are all of those RAPs in tunnel mode?  10MB, especially if it is already shared connectivity is probably not enough if you have 42 RAPs.  You might want to investigate if they are a good candidate for split-tunnel so that all of the traffic does not have to traverse that 10MB link...

• 3.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 18, 2013 08:54 AM

Got a question

Let me see if i undesrtand you got 42 AP on RAP mode IN your campus?? or outside the campus?

If they are inside the campus and the controller is in there why you got it in rap mode?why not on campus AP?  if you put it on rap mode their throuput is a way lower depending on the AP model

What ap models you got in your campus?

Can you please explain us if the APS are inside the campus with the controller or are placed on somehwere else in the country going throuhg internet?

The way you said it sounds like you got the RAPS in the camps with the controller also in the campus.

Please can you clarify this point to us

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 18, 2013 08:56 AM

Also i have seem rap hanging.....

I can tell you that because a client which have an old version i treid putting him a rap demo... and the rap was hanging.... i told him that the issue was with the firmware... so i bring up a controller with the lastest most stable fimrware... and it never hanged....

I did read on a release note that there was a bug related to this... and i hardly remenber in which version was fixed...

What is your firmware version also please

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 19, 2013 11:30 PM

All the RAP's are in bridge mode.

The RAP's and the controller are in different locations, connected by a 10 Mbps WAN Link.

AP model 93

Controller Model 3400

RAP's terminated on a Master Controller.

OS version 6.1.3.4

• 6.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 19, 2013 11:31 PM

It is shared link.

• 7.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 19, 2013 11:46 PM

Okay it is just one remote location? or there are many remote locations?

if it just one location everry AP 93 will open his own ipsec tunnel so realize you are building 42 ipsec tunnels thorugh that WAN LINK

can you please change it to campus bridge mode and see if it works better? i mean if you  are communicating via wan private link.

Also take in mind that an AP 93 by default will work in 2.4ghz which has a lot of interference and also try not having wired and wireless clients ont he same vlan, if you really have to turn on drop multicast/broadcast.

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 19, 2013 11:48 PM

Just be careful doing that... try with one AP first check everything is okay and then go for the others :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 19, 2013 11:54 PM

Forgot telling you

To check for interference issues do this on the command line for the aps that give you more issues

show ap active ip-addr <ap ip address>

check that the noise floor value is above 80 if it lower then too much noise floor

Also check that the channel frame retry rate is below 30%... if it higher then there is too much interference

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 07:41 AM

Yes all the AP's are at one remote location.

Thanks, will test it out with one AP.

Can I know the benefit of keeping the AP in campus mode against keeping it in RAP mode. Does CAP have lesser bandwidth requirements.

Thanks,

Mahesh Shirke

• 11.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 09:17 AM

I bealive it should require less BW as it does not need to build a ipsec tunnel anymore... just the GRE tunnel

In the RAP bridge it would build a IPSEC tunnel and inside it a Gre tunnel, you mainly use RAP mode when you need to cross a nat boundary, that the AP need to cross to connect to the controller

Second thing

Have you tried a test in which you tried the connection to the central site with wired clients to see if they got the same slow scenario?

Remeber to do the commands i told you to figure out if there is too much noise or interference or bothl.

Cheers

Carlos

• 12.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 01:04 PM

Actually the site where 42 AP's are located is our central site. Due to some reasons we cannot move the controller to the central site.

All wired clients dont experience slow connection speed for obvious reasons of it being a central site hosting ERP, email and other critical servers.

I will test the commands as suggested by you

Thanks

Mahesh Shirke

• 13.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 07:14 PM

Looks more like a problem with interference...

If you are bridging the traffic even on rap, it will bridge the traffic locally, it will not go to the controller...

Now the throughput of a RAP 93 is 10mbs... i m not sure if its a global throughput or it just for traffic going to the controller....

And like i said you are making unecesary ipsec...

Actually got a deployment like this on a client... but its not 42 APS its like, like 22...  i got them on campus bridge mode, but they are APS 105s... and everything is working just fine...

Also there is a bug related to ap 93s on RAP mode

Symptom: An AP-105 crashed while decrypting an IPsec packet. Internal code changes fixed this
    issue in ArubaOS 6.1.3.8.
    Scenario: When an encrypted IPsec packet was received and processed by an AP for decryption,
    the packet data was fragmented (not IP fragmentation), and stored in more than one packet
    descriptor, as the OS allocated less space for the packets. This issue was observed in the AP-105,
    AP-93

I bealive the main issue could be interference or noise but i need those outputs :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 14.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:07 PM
    (CNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.139 Active AP Table --------------- Name Group IP Address 11g Clients 11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP 11a Clients 11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP AP Type Flags Uptime Outer IP ---- ----- ---------- ----------- ------------------- ----------- ------------------- ------- ----- ------ -------- NWL0-D Powai 1.1.1.139 2 AP:HT:11/18/20:L 0 93 R2a 1d:0h:17m:38s 172.18.10.141 Flags: a = Reduce ARP packets in the air; A = Enet1 in active/standby mode; B = Battery Boost On; C = Cellular; D = Disconn. Extra Calls On; d = Drop Mcast/Bcast On; E = Wired AP enabled; K = 802.11K Enabled; n = Don't convert IPv6 Mcast RA to Ucast L = Client Balancing Enabled; M = Mesh; N = 802.11b protection disabled; P = PPPOE; R = Remote AP; X = Maintenance Mode; 1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; F = AP failed 802.1x authentication;2 = Using IKE version 2; Channel followed by "*" indicates channel selected due to unsupported configured channel. "Spectrum" followed by "^" indicates Local Spectrum Override in effect. Num APs:1 80211g ESSID YiFiEA Stats -------------------------- Parameter Value --------- ----- Channel 11 Channel Frame Retry Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Low Speed Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Error Rate(%) 6 Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps) 0 Channel Noise 96 BSSID d8:c7:c8:74:1f:00 BSS Frame Retry Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Low Speed Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Non Unicast Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Fragmentation Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%) 0 BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps) 0 BSS Tx Packets 1622749 BSS Rx Packets 845611 BSS Tx Bytes 598295146 BSS Rx Bytes 156144258 BSS SNR 30 BSS Tx Rate 1 mbps BSS Rx Rate 6 mbps 80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats ------------------------- Parameter Value --------- ----- Channel 11 Channel Frame Retry Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Low Speed Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%) 0 Channel Frame Error Rate(%) 6 Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps) 0 Channel Noise 96 BSSID d8:c7:c8:74:1f:01 BSS Frame Retry Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Low Speed Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Non Unicast Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Fragmentation Rate(%) 0 BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%) 0 BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps) 0 BSS Tx Packets 1321433 BSS Rx Packets 185562 BSS Tx Bytes 376780568 BSS Rx Bytes 17546303 BSS SNR 30 BSS Tx Rate 1 mbps BSS Rx Rate 2 mbps

• 15.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:10 PM
    Will post a better output

• 16.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:18 PM

Well looks like the noise is on 96 and the frame retry is on 0% so thats not the issue... or at least thats what i could see of all that. haha...

Thats one of the APs that give you more packet loss issue?

if you ping something in the central site let say the default gateway, do you see packet lost?

Cheers

Carlos

• 17.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:31 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.139

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    Name        Group  IP Address  11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type  Flags  Uptime         Outer IP
    ----        -----  ----------  -----------  -------------------  -----------  -------------------  -------  -----  ------         --------
    NWL0-D-SCB  Powai  1.1.1.139   2            AP:HT:11/18/20:L     0                                 93       R2a    1d:0h:17m:38s  172.18.10.141

Flags: a = Reduce ARP packets in the air;  A = Enet1 in active/standby mode;
           B = Battery Boost On; C = Cellular; D = Disconn. Extra Calls On;
           d = Drop Mcast/Bcast On; E = Wired AP enabled; K = 802.11K Enabled; n = Don't convert IPv6 Mcast RA to Ucast
           L = Client Balancing Enabled; M = Mesh; N = 802.11b protection disabled;
           P = PPPOE; R = Remote AP; X = Maintenance Mode;
           1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; F = AP failed 802.1x authentication;2 = Using IKE version 2;

Channel followed by "*" indicates channel selected due to unsupported configured channel.
    "Spectrum" followed by "^" indicates Local Spectrum Override in effect.

Num APs:1

80211g ESSID YiFiEA Stats
    --------------------------
    Parameter                            Value
    ---------                            -----
    Channel                              11
    Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          0
    Channel Frame Low Speed Rate(%)      0
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    0
    Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)  0
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          6
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         0
    Channel Noise                        96
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:1f:00
    BSS Frame Retry Rate(%)              0
    BSS Frame Low Speed Rate(%)          0
    BSS Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)        0
    BSS Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)      0
    BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%)      0
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             0
    BSS Tx Packets                       1622749
    BSS Rx Packets                       845611
    BSS Tx Bytes                         598295146
    BSS Rx Bytes                         156144258
    BSS SNR                              30
    BSS Tx Rate                          1 mbps
    BSS Rx Rate                          6 mbps

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    -------------------------
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          6
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         0
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:1f:01
    BSS Tx Packets                       1321433
    BSS Rx Packets                       185562
    BSS Tx Bytes                         376780568
    BSS Rx Bytes                         17546303
    BSS Rx Rate                          2 mbps

• 18.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:32 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.100

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    Name    Group  IP Address  11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type  Flags  Uptime          Outer IP
    ----    -----  ----------  -----------  -------------------  -----------  -------------------  -------  -----  ------          --------
    NWL3-C  Powai  1.1.1.100   3            AP:HT:11/20/20       0                                 93       R2a    1d:19h:29m:23s  172.18.13.19

d = Drop Mcast/Bcast On; E = Wired AP enabled; K = 802.11K Enabled; n = Don't convert IPv6 Mcast RA to Ucast
           1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; F = AP failed 802.1x authentication;2 = Using IKE version 2;

Channel followed by "*" indicates channel selected due to unsupported configured channel.

Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          5
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         13
    Channel Noise                        94
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:33:c1
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             6
    BSS Tx Packets                       1986936
    BSS Rx Packets                       199852
    BSS Tx Bytes                         509185890
    BSS Rx Bytes                         23060736
    BSS SNR                              35
    BSS Rx Rate                          1 mbps

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          5
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         13
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:33:c2
    BSS Tx Packets                       1936810
    BSS Rx Packets                       23396
    BSS Tx Bytes                         487507523
    BSS Rx Bytes                         2145191
    BSS Rx Rate                          5.5 mbps

• 19.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:33 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.118

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    Name    Group  IP Address  11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type  Flags  Uptime          Outer IP
    ----    -----  ----------  -----------  -------------------  -----------  -------------------  -------  -----  ------          --------
    NWL3-B  Powai  1.1.1.118   2            AP:HT:6/20/20        0                                 93       R2a    1d:19h:30m:25s  172.18.13.18

Channel                              6
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    26
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          3
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         84
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:44:81
    BSS Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)        27
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             80
    BSS Tx Packets                       2292564
    BSS Rx Packets                       682321
    BSS Tx Bytes                         856420984
    BSS Rx Bytes                         98283966
    BSS Rx Rate                          48 mbps

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    26
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          3
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         84
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:44:82
    BSS Tx Packets                       1989307
    BSS Rx Packets                       79629
    BSS Tx Bytes                         519859703
    BSS Rx Bytes                         11152823

• 20.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:35 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.178

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    NWL4-C  Powai  1.1.1.178   12           AP:HT:6/18/20        0                                 93       R2a    1d:19h:31m:45s  172.18.14.19

Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          13
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    22
    Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)  16
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          20
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         22
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:2c:81
    BSS Frame Retry Rate(%)              14
    BSS Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)      10
    BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%)      15
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             10
    BSS Tx Packets                       1840896
    BSS Rx Packets                       1923813
    BSS Tx Bytes                         930372078
    BSS Rx Bytes                         357039294

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          13
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    22
    Channel Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)  16
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          20
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         22
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:2c:82
    BSS Frame Retry Rate(%)              15
    BSS Frame Fragmentation Rate(%)      31
    BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%)      22
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             8
    BSS Tx Packets                       1201620
    BSS Rx Packets                       258619
    BSS Tx Bytes                         332320288
    BSS Rx Bytes                         32768700

This is one of the AP which creates major problems

• 21.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:36 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr 1.1.1.100

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    NWL3-C  Powai  1.1.1.100   3            AP:HT:11/20/20:L     0                                 93       R2a    1d:19h:33m:17s  172.18.13.19

Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    100
    Channel Frame Error Rate(%)          0
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         10
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:33:c1
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             5
    BSS Tx Packets                       1990792
    BSS Rx Packets                       200357
    BSS Tx Bytes                         510060842
    BSS Rx Bytes                         23076639

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    100
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         10
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:33:c2
    BSS Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)        100
    BSS Tx Packets                       1940620
    BSS Rx Packets                       23447
    BSS Tx Bytes                         488385161
    BSS Rx Bytes                         2145905
    BSS Rx Rate                          5.5 mbps

• 22.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:39 PM
    (LNTCNA) #show ap active ip-addr  1.1.1.183

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    NWL4-A  Powai  1.1.1.183   10           AP:HT:1/18/20        0                                 93       R2a    1d:19h:36m:22s  172.18.14.17

Channel                              1
    Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          10
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    20
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         27
    Channel Noise                        95
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:24:81
    BSS Frame Retry Rate(%)              11
    BSS Frame Receive Error Rate(%)      13
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             17
    BSS Tx Packets                       1350953
    BSS Rx Packets                       744322
    BSS Tx Bytes                         451199427
    BSS Rx Bytes                         118042128
    BSS Rx Rate                          48 mbps

80211g ESSID EAPOW Stats
    Channel                              1
    Channel Frame Retry Rate(%)          10
    Channel Frame Non Unicast Rate(%)    20
    Channel Bandwidth Rate(kbps)         27
    Channel Noise                        95
    BSSID                                d8:c7:c8:74:24:82
    BSS Bandwidth Rate(kbps)             10
    BSS Tx Packets                       1138560
    BSS Rx Packets                       146517
    BSS Tx Bytes                         293383558
    BSS Rx Bytes                         18021021

• 23.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:51 PM

Okay i confused

Do you experience slow connection? like for example if you do a extended ping to the ddefault gateway or to the server you see high times? and packet lost?

Or do you experience user disconnection which is that the user totally disconnect from the wireless and he has to reconnect but once he reconnect is okay.

Cheers

Carlos

• 24.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:55 PM

Take in mind also what i said before

AP 93 on RAP mode total trhoughput of it its 10 mbs... i do not know if that a global value, which also apply to the packeds being bridged or just to the packets that are sent through the tunnel.

If its a global value and you got like many users in one AP then the BW will be not enough as you should not care about that WAN LINK i mean the ERP is local to the user and to the AP and since you are bridging the packets never goes tot he WAN link...

I dont know if Collin can clarify this to us the part in which the total thorughput is global or jsut to the packets being send to the controller which just should be managment traffic in this case...

If it global then you should put it on CAP Bridge mode.  Just be careful when you switching it.

Just my 2 cents!

You can wait to see what Collin said also

Cheers

Carlos

• 25.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:57 PM
    ping statistics of the gateway

--- 172.18.14.253 ping statistics ---

54 packets transmitted, 54 received, 0% packet loss, time 53073ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.903/44.952/192.579/58.320 ms

Would it make more sense give you the inputs when the problem is reported. The issue with connectivity is faced at random times in a day.

• 26.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:00 AM

Okay

But i think it would make sense if the total throughput in RAP for ap93 globally is 10mbs....

And then like many users onthe AP trying to access the ERP  if you really have like just 10mbs of throughput and let say i got like 10 users that would be all the clients transmitting really slowly :)

• 27.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:01 AM

The issue is that clients get abruptly disconnected at random times of the day. Then, I have to either reboot the AP to help them connect or recreate the wireless profile in the laptops.

Thanks

• 28.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:03 AM

You mean 10 Mbps is the throughput to the uplink port of the switch that the AP is connected to ?

• 29.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:04 AM

But then we have a 1 Gig connection from the switch port to the AP. Will it not make a difference ?

• 30.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:07 AM

its the BW what's available to the client...

Logically you would think well it will just apply to the packets going the controller not the packet bridged but who knows...

Collin where are you we need your enlightment :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers

Carlos

• 31.  RE: RAP mode AP

• 32.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 12:18 AM

When you get the issue with one client try this

On the cli

logging level debugging security process authmgr subcat dot1x
    logging level warnings security subcat ids
    logging level warnings security subcat ids-ap
    logging level debugging security process authmgr subcat packet-trace
    logging level debugging user process authmgr subcat dot1x
    logging level debugging user-debug <mac-address of the laptop with issues>  subcat all

show auth-tracebuf

show log security all | include <mac-address of the laptop with issues>

show log user-debug  all  | include <mac-address of the laptop with issues>

Cheers

Carlos

• 33.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 01:23 AM

What is the bug in AP-93 when in RAP mode ?

• 34.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 21, 2013 09:07 AM

The bug was telling something about that when the packet were recived by the AP for decryptation  i mean th ipsec part the AP could crash... and it ocurred to AP 93 and AP 105.. for more details you can read my message or you could read also the realease notes....

This bug was fixed in 6.1.3.8

Cheers

Carlos

• 35.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:36 PM

Well the RF looks really good... so its not that...

If you do a ping to the gateway like i asked you from a wireless client do you see lot of lost packets?

• 36.  RE: RAP mode AP

Posted May 20, 2013 11:38 PM

if you got it on bridge mode the default gateway should be a local network to the rap...