Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

Posted Jan 30, 2013 05:18 AM

Hi there,

I think that a lot of you have the same question/problem.  We use RAP2-5 (3 in test) for our VIP's going abroad who need access to network resources.  Lately all major hotels are banning the wire from their rooms and this is becoming a real problem.  Just as having access to port 4500.  We now always have a spare laptop in the travel sets that provide internet-over-the-wire by using the old Internet Connection Sharing.  But, be honest, we don't want our VIP's to have to struggle with two laptops, a RAP, WiFi login page, etc, etc, etc.  We were told that the RAP3 would become the solution.  Having our test-rap3 upgraded to the orion firmware, I can see in the manual that there is a way for a WiFi uplink, but that's with 'instant' running.  What if the AP is converted into a controller-controlled-RAP? 

It can't be, that we need to provide our VIP's with a manual to reset the RAP to AP with instant, login via the WiFi into the virtual controller, set the WiFi uplink parameters, reboot, re-login, convert to RAP with controller and then connect his laptop wired, so he has access to company resources.  Is there a way around?  Can we provision the RAP3, to have a simple page as portal if he does not have an active Uplink, giving an overview of the visible WiFi networks, so the user can select the correct one, provide the necessary credentials and the RAP starts his tunneling protocol....

I know, a lot of questions, thoughts in one post.  Please feel free to respond or argue. 

And please do forgive the typo's. 

grtz,

Paul

• 2.  RE: RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 05:22 AM

Would the VIA VPN client be a better alternative?

• 3.  RE: RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

Posted Jan 30, 2013 05:28 AM

This is not an option, for security reasons.

• 4.  RE: RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 05:35 AM

Okay.  So to connect to a Wifi network, there is some configuration that is necessary which might make it inappropriate for executives traveling.. 

If you could make it work they way you want it to, how would you do it?

• 5.  RE: RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

Posted Jan 30, 2013 05:50 AM

In a normal situation, with a wired connection that is, the RAP broadcasts a secondary SSID to indicate that he has no connection to the controller.  The user has the possibility to connect with his smartphone (BB) and opens his internetbrowser.  in 99% of the cases, there is a login page for the local network (hotel internet fee,...) and once this is acknowledge, the RAP can connect to the controller and changes his SSID to the correct one for company resources.

in a Wifi situation, this should be similar.  The RAP broadcasts a secondary SSID, the user connects with his smartphone, opens his internetbrowser and gets  a dropdownlist with found WiFi networks.  He/She selects the correct one (hotel,...), a connection is made by the RAP.  He tries to connect to the controller.  If not reached (due to login page), the login page opens in the internetbrowser of the smartphone.  Once the user get's passed this, the used SSID is taken down and the primary get's broadcasted when the RAP connects to its controller.

• 6.  RE: RAP's and WiFi environment as uplink?

Posted Aug 20, 2016 08:20 AM

Hi

Would there be any updates on this topic? Is it possible to use a (hotel) wifi to use as an uplink for a RAP? Maybe a wifi usb stick in stead of a 3G stick?

I thought I read something about this, but I don't find it anymore.

Br

Peter