Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 10:50 AM

Hello.

Please could you help me with this configuration doubt?

I have read a lot of topics about this discussion but really I can´t find a clear solution for this deployment.

Our customer has a Headquarters with a couple of 7030 Controllers in a Master standby fashion.
    A new branch office with five Aps needs to be deployed. Both offices will be connected through a MPLS.

Three corporate SSIDs must be broadcasted in the branch office, two of them with 802.1x authentication against a ClearPass PM located in the HQ.
    There is a Guest SSID with captive portal too, and as far I have understood this one is not supported in bridge mode.

Our customer wants wireless clients in the branch get their IP address from a local DHCP server, besides in the case of WAN failure the Access Points in the branch must remain active with the connected clients (those that were connected before the link failure).

RAP with split tunnel mode doesn't support local dhcp addressing for clients connected to the 802.1X SSIDs.

Is there any kind of configuration that supports two SSIDs in bridge mode with another one in tunnel mode under the same AP-Group?

What kind of configuration do you recommend me?

Thank you in advance.
    Regards.

• 2.  RE: RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 11:20 AM
    Are those Aps = IAPs ?

You could use the distributed DHCP L3 option

The IAP build a VPN tunnel back to the Aruba controller acting as a VPN concentrator and the DHCP will be handled by the IAP (stays local) and you can also configure it in split tunnel mode
    It is explain here in the Aruba Instant VRD
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Aruba-VRDs/76/2/Aruba_Instant_VRD_2016.pdf

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 11:47 AM

Hello Victor.

No, they aren't. All access points are Campus APs.

Thank you so much for your fast answer.

Regards.

• 4.  RE: RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 05:41 PM

Hi!

Do you think the deployment I was talking about could be done with Campus Aps?

Maybe the customer's requeriments for the branch office can't be achieved neither with Raps in bridge or split tunnel mode nor Campus Aps in bridge mode.

Any suggestion would be welcome!

Thank you so much.

Regards.

• 5.  RE: RAP split tunnel or bridge mode vs Campus AP in bridge mode?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 07:05 PM
    Because the AP traffic will be traversing the WAN this deployment may not be optimal

Another option could be to have a smaller controller (7005) at the office

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile