Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology

Posted Feb 03, 2016 10:14 PM

Hi,

i'm currently  maintaining my customer wireless network designed by previous vendor.

they deployed around 50 RAPs (no CAP at all) both layer 2 and layer 3 in private WAN deployment with split-tunneling.

i understand that this is not an ideal deployment where RAP are supposed to be deployed in public WAN.

what i want to asked is what the differences between local-bridge CAP and split-tunnel RAP in case of controller down and how the data being bridged? (since there is no public wan traffic, is there any use of the split tunnel?)

• 2.  RE: RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology

Posted Feb 03, 2016 10:41 PM

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-1326

The only advantage of using split-tunnel is if the user needs to access local resources at that site that doesn't need to traverse the WAN. 

• 3.  RE: RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology

Posted Feb 03, 2016 10:56 PM

Hi Victor,

thanks for the answer.

so it's safe to say i can convert the split-tunnel RAP to locally bridge CAP without any difference in my case?

• 4.  RE: RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2016 11:07 PM
    In order for the campus AP to support bridge mode you need to enable CPSec
    Control Plane Security.
    And if you don;t have it enable , all your APs will need to reboot.
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/control_plane.php

• 5.  RE: RAP vx CAP in private WAN topology

Posted Feb 03, 2016 11:12 PM

yes, i already had the CPsec enabled.

thanks for the answer.