Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP5 Wired Port

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP5 Wired Port

Posted May 24, 2013 04:03 PM

From an old post here,

" By default, a RAP5 or a RAP2 that has been provisioned and cannot contact a controller will provide DHCP out of that second port and source-nat the user traffic out the physical ip address of the AP. You can get the Hotel's Captive Portal wired in this manner, as well."

I can't seem to get this to work in AOS 6.2.1.1.  My laptop connected to port 1 on a RAP5 does not get an IP address under the same situation described above. I'm using default settings on the wired ports. Remote-AP Backup is enabled on port 1.

Thanks,

ckc

• 2.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2013 04:11 PM

Has that RAP5 been provisioned as and is functioning as a RAP?

Did it get a valid ip address from the wired network?

Has it booted at least one time successfully as a RAP to the controller after you made the configuration change?

• 3.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

Posted May 24, 2013 07:10 PM

Hi,

Yes, the RAP5 is fully functional as a RAP over 4G and via ethernet broadband connected to port 0. I have it setup to give 4G higher priority if both are connected. What I'm trying to accomplish is when 4G is not available and the ethernet broadband at the hotel has a guest portal page, i want to be able to connect a laptop to port 1 to access the hotel guest portal for registration.

I had a remote technician try this at a site that offferend guest ethernet broadband and his laptop wasn't able to pull up the guest portal. He's not certain if his laptop received an IP from the RAP5. I tried to simulate this on my home network by disconnecting the cable connection from my cable modem, i saw the power light started to blink on the RAP5 so that means it lost connectivity with my controller in the data center. I plugged a laptop into port 1 of the RAP5 and was not able to obtain an IP address. Is this suppose to work as default or some configuration is required?

Thanks,

ckc

• 4.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2013 07:25 PM

You need to enable remote AP backup for enet1 and wait until you get an ip address on the wired port.  You also do need to enable that port for it to work.

• 5.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

Posted May 28, 2013 11:01 AM

I made sure those are enabled but my laptop still does not get an IP from the AP.

ckc

• 6.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2013 11:03 AM

Does the link even come up?

• 7.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

Posted May 28, 2013 02:34 PM

Yes sir. port 1 light comes on. Do I need to specify a DHCP pool for this purpose or it's done by default from the RAP5 ?

Thanks,

ckc

• 8.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2013 03:37 PM

Nope.  It should use an internal pool to do that.  You might have to open a support case to see how your setup is specifically configured.

• 9.  RE: RAP5 Wired Port

Posted May 30, 2013 01:08 PM

Will do.

Thanks,

ckc