Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 07:09 AM

Hi All,

I've got a customer who is seeing high bandwidth usage with home users with RAPs. They're getting this information from the ISP of the home user. I've been told that the user has barely been using the internet or the RAP for the last week however approximately 1GB is being consumed per day.

The customer doesn't have any means to view what type of traffic this is via the ISP or their corporate firewall.

I previously logged a ticket with TAC but didn't get far as we couldn't proove it wasn't the home users connecting to their wireless and consuming the bandwidth.

This isn't an isolated case though as there are a number of users with RAPs who are seeing a similar bandwidth usage per day.

We have enabled BCMC optimisation but things did not improve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    James

• 2.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 07:16 AM

Have you tried implementing any bandwidht contract on the role ?

How do you have the RAP configured : Split tunnel / Bridged ?

• 3.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 07:20 AM

We've not looked into bandwidth contracts yet and the RAPs are in tunnel mode. The tunnel mode is a requirement as the users traffic needs to be proxied at the customers HQ.

• 4.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2013 07:39 AM

If they are set to tunnel mode, then all of their traffic is being sent back including personal activity. Could personal activity such as streaming and video downloads be the issue or are they only using the connection for work?

• 5.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 07:46 AM

Are the wired ports in use on the RAPs or only wireless?   If also wired, on the Wired AP profile for those ports, do you have Broadcast enabled?   

• 6.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 08:17 AM

As cappalli mentioned, consider moving to split tunnel so only the corporate traffic is tunneled and reset will be sent to the local n/w and will not be tunnelled both by GRE and IPSEC

• 7.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 16, 2013 08:40 AM

It's not possible to change to split-tunnel due to the customers proxy policy.

I understand that tunnel mode will generate more traffic but 1GB per day when the user is barely connected to the RAP is excessive.

We have tried enabling broadcast / multicast optimisation to no avail.

They have a phone patched into the wired port on some of the RAPs, I'll double check to see if it'sonly the RAPs with the wired port being used are the ones affected and post back.

Thanks
    James

• 8.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Jul 17, 2013 05:57 AM

Update:

The phones are actually wireless and there's nothing patched into the LAN port.

We're going to try to capture the traffic on the uplink port on one of the RAPs to see what we can see....

James

• 9.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Aug 20, 2013 02:34 AM

I have the same problem with one customer.

Aruba must develop a traffic visibility over the WAN/RAP to see what protocol is consumming the bandwith.

• 10.  RE: RAPs using a lot of bandwidth?

Posted Aug 21, 2013 07:15 AM
    Hi Airhead Experts,
    Any one can please let me know if we provision AP93 as RAP and forwarded mode is configured as bridge. How much bandwidth would be used for IPSec tunnel(s) between Controller and AP.
    Keeping in mind that MAC based authentication is implemented.