Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 20, 2013 01:59 PM

Greetings,

We have an Aruba 650 controller and 5 RAP-2WG raps. They connect to the controller over a VPN and rdp traffic has been dropping, sessions are terminated. All other connections are fine. I do not see a specific service for rdp. What is the best way to allow rdp traffic over the tunnel?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:11 PM

Is the tunnel created by the RAP, or there is another tunnel?

• 3.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:28 PM

The tunnel is created by the Aruba650. If you need more detail, if you could point me to the webGUI configuration I will look it up. I am new to this device.

Thank you!

• 4.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 05:29 PM

Are the clients connected wirelessly or wired to the RAP2?

• 5.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 20, 2013 06:42 PM

The clients are wired to the RAP 2WG devices.

• 6.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 06:47 PM

@ssnow wrote:

The clients are wired to the RAP 2WG devices.

Maybe we need to stop propagation of wasteful broadcast traffic to the wired interface.  Here is what you do:

Go to Configuration> Network> IP.  Edit the VLAN that wired users on that RAP2wg are on.  Click on the checkbox next to Enable BCMC Optimization and click on apply.  See if you still have the issues.

• 7.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 21, 2013 09:48 AM

Thanks, I will give that a try and report back.

• 8.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 21, 2013 10:00 AM
      |   view attached

I did not find the BCMC optimization option. The screen shot of the IP conifg page is attached. The firmware is ArubaOS 5.0.4.1.

• 9.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2013 10:13 AM

Unfortunately, it is only supported in ArubaOS 6.x and above...

• 10.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 21, 2013 12:06 PM

If this model can go to 6, I will see about upgrading the controller, if our model can be upgraded.

• 11.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2013 12:32 PM

@ssnow wrote:

If this model can go to 6, I will see about upgrading the controller, if our model can be upgraded.

ssnow,

You probably do not have to upgrade.  That knob just makes it so that downstream broadcasts are not propagated.  You can accomplish the same thing by ensuring that as few people as possible are on that wired VLAN, so that traffic is minimized.  You can do that by creating a new AP group where the wired AP profile is attached to a VLAN that has few people or one person and see if you have the same issues.  If you are propagating a WLAN on those RAP 2Wgs, you can also enable "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" on that Virtual AP so that less traffic is propagated on your WLAN, as well....

• 12.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 21, 2013 12:52 PM

All four RAPs are on separate vlans with from one to six people on each. Perhaps the issue is how the uplink ports on the local switch are configured. This system was in place when I started with no documentation about the installation configuration.

• 13.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2013 01:04 PM

@ssnow wrote:

All four RAPs are on separate vlans with from one to six people on each. Perhaps the issue is how the uplink ports on the local switch are configured. This system was in place when I started with no documentation about the installation configuration.

Understood.

Are all 4 RAPs in 4 different AP groups?

• 14.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Nov 21, 2013 01:08 PM

Yes.

• 15.  RE: RDP drops in Mobility Controller teunnel

Posted Mar 28, 2014 03:55 PM

Hi,

I have read your case and it is very similar with a problem that I had. How did you finally fix it?

Thank you in advance.