Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

Posted Jul 31, 2014 05:27 AM

I am trying to setup a central logging server for my Aruba AP environment. Can someone with recommed a good syslog application that i can use.

thank you

• 2.  RE: RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2014 06:12 AM
    I would recommend Splunk.

• 3.  RE: RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

Posted Jul 31, 2014 06:20 AM

Thanks very much for the quick response. Do you mind throwing a little more light into why you recommend splunk?

• 4.  RE: RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

Posted Jul 31, 2014 08:54 AM
    Splunk can get pricey if you have a lot of data coming in but there is no substitute, it is powerful.

If you are looking for free options, syslog-ng is one, you can also look at ELSA (open-source, similar to Splunk)

With syslog-ng, you can install a front-end such as logzilla or loganalyzer.

You really need to figure out what you want to capture first before choosing a syslog server, splunk is amazing but it might be overkill..

• 5.  RE: RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

Posted Jul 31, 2014 09:35 AM

thanks very much

• 6.  RE: RECOMMEND BEST SYSLOG SERVER APPLICATION

Posted Jun 03, 2018 08:34 PM

I've been using Syslog Watcher from EZ5 Systems on a windows machine as the syslog server for my network for more than five years.  It collects log messages from all my important network devices including my dns server, time server, web server, firewall, switches, and printers.  I have Syslog Watcher set up to alert me via e-mail and text message (via my wireless carrier's e-mail to text gateway) when important events get logged.  Syslog Watcher is a full-featured and polished syslog server offering, with an easy to use graphical UI, and EZ5 provides great support.  And they have "vendor pack" add-ins to help decipher otherwise cryptic messages logged by devices from vendors such as fortinet and cisco based on the proprietary IDs the manufacturers log in their messages.  See https://syslogwatcher.com.  (Disclosure:  I am NOT affiliated with EZ5 systems.)