Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Radio profiles 40mhz

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Radio profiles 40mhz

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:24 PM

I'm sure this has bad idea written all over it but

Think it be off any help to have 2 radio profiles in the same building. If I built two groups, for one building with one profile uses 20mhz the other 40.

I read the wlan professional stress test report that showed ipad performance did considerably better operating on 40mhz channels.

Most of our guests who only are located on the first floor of a building use Ipads, Users are located on the upper floor of the building

I'm aware that the client chooses wherever it wants to authenticate to but

The hope is the guests associate to the First floor APs operating on 40mhz while network users located above associate to 20mhz aps.

Would it just wreak havoc, and create coverage holes?

• 2.  RE: Radio profiles 40mhz

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:32 PM

It all depends on how you have your APs distributed in the building because if you have a very dense deployment bonding channels may not be a good idea.

• 3.  RE: Radio profiles 40mhz

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:37 PM

Hi,

Good evening,

You might want to create different AP-groups to the AP'S located on the ipad /guest floor (lobby). (and config different 20/40mhz configuration in each AP-group)

Just be aware  :robotindifferent: - the usage of 40Mhz recommend in 5Ghz..

In 2.4Ghz sometimes it doing to opposite. (killing the Signal with a lot of Noise...)

regards.

Me

• 4.  RE: Radio profiles 40mhz

Posted Feb 13, 2013 05:40 PM

Why do you want to do this?

Why not leaving it on if the device is cabpable of 40mhz then they willl connect to it, if its not then it wont...

Just remenber to turn it on just only on 5ghz channels, do not do that on 2.4ghz channel...

• 5.  RE: Radio profiles 40mhz
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 05:47 PM

I agree with NightShade1
    yep.That what I wrote also..
    It's better not to use 40mhz channels in 2.4ghz spectrum
    quote:
    Just be aware :robotindifferent: - the usage of 40Mhz recommend in 5Ghz..

In 2.4Ghz sometimes it doing to opposite. (killing the Signal with a lot of Noise...)

**it will effect preformence in 2.4ghz..will make a lot of noise,and you will not have a lot of non-overlapping channels to choose from  |   In High density Wi-Fi deployment or office building deployment/multi floors deployments.**:smileysurprised:
    --------------------------------------

This picture will explain you - why it's better not to use 40mhz in 2.4ghz spectrum:

original.jpg

To summarize everything:

If u have 2 radio modules AP .Just config the ARM / SSID profile to support band steering , and also confirm that the use of 40mhz is for 5ghz spectrum only.

• 6.  RE: Radio profiles 40mhz
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 07:05 PM

And I have been humbled. Thanks for the replies, didn't even think about just using it just on 5GHz, guess that's why I'm a occasional contributor and your the MVP's.