Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Radio question?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Radio question?

Posted May 10, 2012 04:02 AM

Hi,

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I guess you should never be afraid to ask them!

The sites that we support have AP-105's installed with a 650 controller. The sites generally connect their laptops to the wireless, but these also have different Wireless cards with differing support for 802.11n, 802.11g or 802.11a, some do all, others don't. In a given room any one of these types of radios could be connected to an AP-105 at the same time.

Does this mean that because the AP is supporting each radio type, the speed of the connection will be fastest supported by the slowest radio type i.e. if an 802.11n and 802.11g were connected, the fastest theoretical speed achieved would be 54mbps shared? or does the AP keep each radio seperate i.e. the 802.11n would perform at its quickest speed and the same for 802.11g?

Hopefully what I said makes sense, if anyone could clear up my understanding of how it works would be appreciated.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Radio question?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2012 09:45 AM

@maguire wrote:

Hi,

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I guess you should never be afraid to ask them!

The sites that we support have AP-105's installed with a 650 controller. The sites generally connect their laptops to the wireless, but these also have different Wireless cards with differing support for 802.11n, 802.11g or 802.11a, some do all, others don't. In a given room any one of these types of radios could be connected to an AP-105 at the same time.

Does this mean that because the AP is supporting each radio type, the speed of the connection will be fastest supported by the slowest radio type i.e. if an 802.11n and 802.11g were connected, the fastest theoretical speed achieved would be 54mbps shared? or does the AP keep each radio seperate i.e. the 802.11n would perform at its quickest speed and the same for 802.11g?

Hopefully what I said makes sense, if anyone could clear up my understanding of how it works would be appreciated.

Cheers

Each device would be connect at the maximum speed negotiated, but in a shared medium like wireless, faster clients, would have to wait on slower clients transmitting and that would impact throughput for those clients.  The way to deal with this it to enable "fair-access" or "preferred-access" in the QOS profile on the controller.

• 3.  RE: Radio question?

Posted May 10, 2012 05:00 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't too sure about the QOS stuff you mentioned, but luckily I have found the VRD fundamental guides that someone else had posted a link too, and they seem to cover most of the basic stuff that I was going to post on the forum, including the QOS policy settings. Cheers

• 4.  RE: Radio question?

Posted May 20, 2012 03:42 AM

Can u send me link of this guide , I am kinda new to Aruba .

thanks

• 5.  RE: Radio question?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2012 09:00 AM