Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Raised ceiling mount

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Raised ceiling mount

Posted May 03, 2016 11:49 AM
      |   view attached

We have a circular showroom with raised ceilings, which are about 30 feet high. I recently purchased IAP-325's to replace my Motorola AP650's. One 650 is mounted at the bottom right corner of the room in the ceiling rafters. The other is in the top center of the room located on a 10' high false ceiling where we have an office.

The circular floor plan has cubicles throughout.

Since my IAP-325's are downward facing antennas, would I have problems if I mounted these sideways? What if I placed one on the 10' high false ceiling and it pointed upwards? What are my options to mount an additional AP at floor level of a cubicle?

The VAR that sold these to me acted as if it was no big deal. And I choose not to have him install them because he wanted to charge $1500 to do so. Ridiculous.

I've attached a floor diagram. I would ideally put a third AP in the bottom left corner in a cubicle.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• 2.  RE: Raised ceiling mount

Posted May 03, 2016 11:53 AM

I do have access to a wood shop which could make me some kind of board to attach these to and get them pointed in a better angle.

• 3.  RE: Raised ceiling mount

Posted May 03, 2016 12:13 PM

I should add that the 30' raised ceiling conists of metal beams, not false ceiling tiles. The current AP650's are mounted to a wooden board and then strapped to the beam. They have 6 positional antennas which face upward and downward. The other AP has all 6 antenna facing upward since it sits on top of the false ceiling.

• 4.  RE: Raised ceiling mount

Posted May 04, 2016 12:32 PM

I found a mount that looks perfect to fix a board to. Then it's just a matter of directional placement, which is really what my question is about.

http://www.amazon.com/Aruba-Networks-Mounting-Wireless-AP-220-MNT-W1/dp/B00QUE5S34

• 5.  RE: Raised ceiling mount
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2016 12:33 PM

Using a wooden board, the mount I found at Amazon, and some heavy duty zip ties, I was able to mount the AP's to the L-beams pointing downward. The single AP on the false ceiling is facing horizontal, looking over the cubicles. Coverage is great.