Wireless Access

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Random Drops For Whole Site

I don't think running at 90% numerically has anything to do with the performance.  It is just in the log.  I would have TAC take a look at your setup so that you can see if you even have an issue.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

Hi,

So it seems there maybe an issue with our spanning tree settings which is causing a network topology change thus dropping the site in the process: 

show spanning-tree:

Spanning Tree is executing the IEEE compatible Rapid Spanning Tree protocol
Bridge Identifier has priority 4096, address 20:4c:03:19:c5:b4
Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
We are the root of the spanning tree
Topology change flag is not set , detected flag not set , changes 96
Times: hold 1, topology change 35 hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
Timers: hello 0, notification 0
Last topology change: 0 days, 1 hour, 5 mins, 33 secs

So my question now is:

Can the Airgroup service function (i.e. discover devices) whilst spanning-tree is disabled on the controller?

We are in a situation where we only have spanning-tree enabled because we need multicast and broadcast traffic to be picked up by the controller.

I have read on the other threads in these forums that the controller will detect multicast on a trunked VLAN. Currently our ports on the wireless controllers are acting as 'access' ports.

Would switching these to ‘trunk’ ports, with spanning-tree disabled still enable Airgroup to function correctly?

Guru Elite

Do you have your controllers dual-connected to the infrastructure?  If yes, you should disable spanning tree globally on the controller, and allow the infrastructure to handle spanning tree.  If no, still disable spanning tree and allow the infrastructure to handle it.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

We are all for disabling spanning tree but we just need to know that the AirGroup discovery is going to work with spanning tree disabled?

Would switching these to ‘trunk’ ports, with spanning-tree disabled still enable Airgroup to function correctly?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Unrelated to Airgroup.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

So can we disable spanning tree globally and AirGroup will still function with our current setup which is two access ports for two separate VLANs 9 and 12?

Guru Elite

How are you using spanning tree?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

Currently re-configuring our spanning tree setup and wanting to remove it from the controllers.

The only question we are now wondering about is does AirGroup functionality work the same through access ports? As this is how our current ports are configured.

Thanks

Guru Elite

Unrelated.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

So the AirGroup feature would work regardless of the configuration of the ports (access/trunk) and with no spanning tree configured on the controllers themselves?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: