Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP

Posted Jun 07, 2012 10:13 AM

Hello all -

We have 3 RAP-5's and what I didn't notice when I configured them and shipped them out is that they show up in the controller as Wired AP's. So I have a couple of questions:

1. is that normal? (I have Rap-5wn's wgs that don't...) so wondered if that w ment wireless...

2. do I need to create a wired profile for them and if so, what issues am I going to see - looks like I can pick the same profile that the wireless aps use - just not sure if there is anything else

3. any other "hidden" issues that we may encounter?

thank you

Lirria

• 2.  RE: Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:02 PM

Lirra,

These are true RAP-5s, not RAP-5WNs? If so they do not have wireless access points built in, that's why they show up that way. You should be able to use the same wired profile as your RAP-5WNs. 

-awl

• 3.  RE: Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:12 PM

hmm - so does that mean it's not actually an AP, but a wired only piece of hardware?

My bad for not catching that when it was ordered.

Lirra

• 4.  RE: Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:26 PM

Yes, RAP-5 is wired only for places where you need a wired L2 extension but not wireless. The RAP-5WN is the wireless variant. 

-awl

• 5.  RE: Rap-5 showing up as Wired AP

Posted Jun 07, 2012 12:35 PM

*sigh*

Well crap - ok - thank you - that does explain it - I'll have to take a look at the offices and see if that is going to work or if we need to recall it back and get something different.

I hate it when I make that kind of a mistake.

Lirria