Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

Posted Feb 15, 2013 12:16 PM

Hello all,

I have a strange issue that I'm hoping I can get some help with.  I am currently deploying Rap3s, and would like to use the Poe port for a VOIP phone deployment for a complete remote solution for our sales folks.  The problem I'm having is that the shortel phone gets an IP on the right VLAN, but then simply reboots, and hangs on attempting to get dhcp again.

I plugged my laptop into the eth2 port, and I am indeed able to get the proper IP address, and traffic is flowing perfectly (I'm actually using it to type this up).  DHCP is being handed out by an external server, and IP helper is configured for that VLAN on the controller (hence why I'm getting dhcp).  I've confirmed that the IP address is being handed out by the correct server.

Is it possible that the DHCP options are being dropped somehow?  When I plug in the same phone locally, it gets an IP on the same scope, but starts booting properly.

• 2.  RE: Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

Posted Feb 15, 2013 12:28 PM

Follow up:

While the phone was booting, it got an IP of "192.168.x.60", but when I take a look at either DHCP servers, they do not have an IP address handed out for .60... Strange.

• 3.  RE: Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2013 01:55 PM

Does that phone expect to be on a trunk port or an access port?

• 4.  RE: Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

Posted Feb 19, 2013 02:19 PM

The phone expects a tagged port...

Here's how option 156 is defined: FtpServers=192.168.10.x,Layer2Tagging=1,Vlan=35

• 5.  RE: Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

Posted Feb 19, 2013 02:20 PM

one more thing, my network logs on the controller are filled with these:

<DBUG> |dhcpdwrap|  DHCPDISCOVER from x:x:x:x:x:x via eth1: unknown network segment

These are all coming from any MAC behind the rap.

• 6.  RE: Rap3/Shortel/DHCP option

Posted Mar 09, 2013 09:07 AM

so what is the wired profile on the RAP port?

when you connect with your laptop can you make a packet capture with wireshark or such and confirm the right DHCP options are send?