Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rapid-PVST Confusion

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Rapid-PVST Confusion

Posted Sep 05, 2013 03:54 PM

Controller version: 6.1.3.7

I'm confused by the spanning tree controller options.  I see: Rapid & Rapid-PVST.  My understanding is that Rapid refers to RSTP (802.1w) and Rapid-PVST refers Cisco's PVRST+ or RSTP per-VLAN.  However, the user guide keeps referring to PVST+ when talking about Rapid-PVST, which is based on 802.1D. Can someone confirm which STP standard, Rapid-PVST maps to?

Also, it looks like a VLAN instance has to be created for each VLAN when using rapid-PVST.  Is that right?  That's quite a bit different from Cisco's implementation.

• 2.  RE: Rapid-PVST Confusion

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2013 08:57 AM

Hopefully this helps.  I would stick to RSTP with the controller OR turn it off altogether.  For my installs, I actually globally disable any spanning tree.  That is a philosophy of mine which may be argued against but I never cared for Spanning Tree and in the datacenter, I see no use for it other than to avoid loops (which should be mitigated by the top of rack or core switch's loop prevention features.

From the User Guide

Aruba’s RSTP implementation interoperates with PVST (Per VLAN Spanning Tree 802.1D) and Rapid-PVST (802.1w) implementation on industry-standard router/switches. Aruba supports global instances of STP and RSTP only. Therefore, the ports on industry-standard routers/switches must be on the default or untagged VLAN for interoperability with Arubacontrollers.

• 3.  RE: Rapid-PVST Confusion

Posted Mar 21, 2015 11:35 PM

If "Aruba supports global instances of STP and RSTP only. Therefore, the ports on industry-standard routers/switches must be on the default or untagged VLAN for interoperability with Arubacontrollers.",

then Why do I need to run spanning tree on Arubacontroller if it is connected to access port?

I've connected 3400 controller through two .1q trunks to a cisco switch. The only working sollution was to enable per vlan spanning tree globaly; then create instance of spanning tree for each vlan on each trunk interface. 

• 4.  RE: Rapid-PVST Confusion

Posted May 27, 2015 09:56 AM

Hello.

We have to do the same thing. Is this the solution then ?

We already checked that default vlan (native) is running... see here: http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/dc/reference/cli/nxos/commands/l2/vlan_dot1Q_tag_native.html

Thanks, ciao

Alex