Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2015 01:17 PM

The main thing that AirWave uses to determine firmware for a device is the Instant Firmware version.

Let's breakdown the Firmware file:

ArubaInstant_Orion_6.4.2.3-4.1.2.1_49445

Orion determines which APs can use the firmware (in this case IAP 92/93,104/105,175,RAP3WN/P)

The 6.4.2.3 is the AOS code base (negligable for Instant)

The 4.1.2.1 is the portion AirWave cares about.

And the 49445 is the specific build number (for internal tracking)

So if you have AP225 and AP105, you'd need both Centaurus and Orion images.  If you do not want to download and upload both images, you can use the Desired Version portion to get the images from the image server (activate.arubanetworks.com).

Under Groups -> Firmware

2015_05_13-219.jpg

If you choose a firmware image under Image Server, then AMP will contact activate and grab all the needed images for the devices in that group (as long as your AMP can reach the internet, more specifically the activate server).

The drop down list will only list the version, and not the compatible device version.  So if you're manually uploading, then you'll need to make sure you upload all copies of the image needed.

• 2.  RE: Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

Posted May 14, 2015 01:54 AM

Thanks for the rely,but our 5 AMP servers are not connencted to the Internet. The question is, if I load multiple firmware images onto our server and all those images are the same release but for various hardware platforms why when I select the from the drop down box the firmware I require  do I only see the last image loaded and not the full suite of firmware I know is there?

Regards

Mike

• 3.  RE: Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2015 01:42 PM

Making sure I'm getting this straight, so you uploaded 3 images into Device Setup -> Upload Firmware and Files:

2015_05_18-220.jpg

Then you went to Group -> Firmware and only saw 1 file on the drop down:

2015_05_18-221.png

This is expected behavior.  In a mixed AP type cluster, the firmware image needs to be the same for all APs in the Instant Cluster.  If I have AP 105 and AP 225 mixed cluster, and have uploaded both images into the AirWave server, then the list will show 1 image selection for that firmware since the firmware version needs to be universal for the cluster.

Also, this is more visually pleasing than seeing a list of 5 entries per Instant Firmware when the only difference is the AP model designation.

• 4.  RE: Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

Posted May 20, 2015 01:04 AM

Good Morning,

I have loaded three images from my desktop onto the target AMP server as per your initial image, when I then go to APs/Devices select a site, select "Upgrade firmware for selected devices " in the desired version box at the box there is an option to select firmware version, when I select this I would expect to see ALL versions currently installed on my server but I don't, I see the last one loaded.I would have loaded some screenshots but for some reason I can't get this to work.These servers are not connected to the Internet so have to use images we load via the "Upload firmeware" page.

Regards

MIke

• 5.  RE: Re: AMP 8.0.7.1 and multiple IAP firmware releases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2015 11:19 AM

At this point, to expedite the forum, it may be a good idea to open a support case so that a support team member can create a web session to see what you're describing.