Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reason for AP rebooting

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Reason for AP rebooting

Posted Jul 17, 2017 04:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a controller with one AP connected to it. With no reason, I see the WLANs I have created on it dissapear from time to time, until I went where the AP is and I saw the Power LED flashing and the Radios LED off. But when I see the active APs in the controller I see this AP is up for days:

apactive.PNG

Sometimes when I access the controller I realize it doesn't respond inmediately and it takes around 10 seconds, so the problem could be the controller and not the AP, but I am not sure. How can I know what is happening? What commands can I use to investigate this?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 05:07 PM

Type "show log system 50" to see why it could be rebooting or rebootstrapping.

• 3.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

Posted Jul 17, 2017 10:00 PM

Hi Julian,

Please use the following command once the AP recovers to see if there were any bootstraps or reboots encountered by AP.

show ap debug system-status ap-name <name of AP>

• 4.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

Posted Jul 18, 2017 11:56 AM

Hi Colin and Nitesh,

The situation is the following: I am connecting to a network where profiling is enabled with ClearPass. The user connects to the network and gets a dhcp-only role, it does the DHCP process for obtaining the IP address, and once done and when ClearPass has the device profile, it sends a Radius CoA to disconnect the client and force to connect again. The point is when I am connecting to this network and testing this feature, I can see the AP reboots, but when I don't connect to this network, it doesn't.

After the AP rebooted yesterday sometimes, I issued "show log system 50" but it didn't showed the AP rebooted. Today however it did show the AP rebooted and the reason. I have issued the "show ap debug system-status ap-name <name of AP>" command and shows the AP rebooted yesterday and today. The reason is this:

2017-07-18 10:37:23 Switching to LMS 192.168.1.97: Missed heartbeats: Last Sequence Generated=16547 Sent=16547 Rcvd=16539. Last Ctrl message: STATUS_REPORT len=49 dest=192.168.1.97 tries=1 seq=2

I have attached two logs files of these commands. Now I have stopped of testing this network and the AP doesn't reboot anymore as you can see in the logs timestamp. Do you know what is happening? Is it related to connecting to that network?

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    session1.txt   39 KB 1 version
    txt
    session2.txt   40 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2017 12:04 PM

Yes.  That means there is a connectivity issue between the AP and the network.  I would make sure that the proper duplex and speed are negotiated on the switchport and all of the connections betweeen the AP and the controller... and that there are no errors.

• 6.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

Posted Jul 18, 2017 12:17 PM

Hi Colin,

But when I say when I connect to the network I mean I connect a laptop to a WLAN created on the controller. When I connect a laptop to SSID "employee1" the AP reboots, and when I don't try to connect the laptop to SSID "employee1" the AP doesn't reboot. And the connections between the AP and the controller and the switchports are the same and don't change.

Regards,

Julián

• 7.  RE: Reason for AP rebooting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2017 12:44 PM

I would make sure that your DHCP server is not giving out the same ip address to the client that the APs has.  That is all I can guess right now.