Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reason of channel utilization

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Reason of channel utilization

Posted Sep 01, 2017 01:38 PM

Hi experts,

I have measured the channel utilization of one of my customers at midnight and it has an average of 25%. I have measured the same at 11 am when the people is working and has increased but not so much, just 5% in some APs. It is a cluster of 8 IAPs and they are 15 meters far each other more or less. The cluster has 4 SSIDs configured and the network has little users, no more than 30 across all the cluster.

As the channel utilization is roughly the same in working hours and at midnight, I think it is due to co-channel interference and management traffic of the own network. I have seen the Wi-Fi SSID Overhead Calculator, and looking at 4 SSIDs (column) and 2 APs on the same channel (row) which is my case, the overhead is around 25%, which matches the channel utilization I have seen in this network:

overhead_calc.png

Do you this channel utilization is due to my own network? Or it could be due to interferences or foreign networks? Is there any command to verify this? Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Reason of channel utilization
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2017 05:29 PM

Disable all of your SSIDs at midnight and then check the channel utilization.

• 3.  RE: Reason of channel utilization

Posted Sep 04, 2017 10:45 AM

Hi Colin,

Good point, I disabled all the SSIDs but one yesterday (because there were a few people working) and the channel utilization was reduced dramatically, here a couple of examples:

util1.png

util2.png

I did the change between 15:30-16:45 more or less. As you can see the channel utilization decreased until 10% approximately, and if I had disabled all the SSID would have decreased even more. Then I guess this channel utilization is due to the cluster's APs management traffic. One more question, what are normal values for high channel utilization or in other words, what value is considered for high channel utilization?

• 4.  RE: Reason of channel utilization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2017 10:52 AM

If  your channel utilization is at 40% during the day that is not bad, at all.

If it is at 25% at midnight, that provides an opportunity to possibly reduce it, but it if it does not exceed 50% during the day, you probably will be fine.

• 5.  RE: Reason of channel utilization

Posted Sep 04, 2017 11:02 AM

OK, thanks a lot!