Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network

Posted Nov 07, 2018 08:22 AM

We've rolled out a WPA2-PSK network for devices incapable of connecting to a WPA2-Enterprise netwrk. At present this is only for Game Consoles and we use clearpass dhcp fingerprinting to restrict the type of device that can use the network. Users have to register their mac address in clearpass guest and then we check their dhcp fingerprint to make sure the device is allowed. If not we redirect them to a portal page.

Clearpass passes back a session timeout of 3600 secondss in just the same manner as our dot1x auths... which do reauth every hour

On our controllers the mac authentication profile we use has the reauthentication checkbox enabled and also the "User server provided reauthentication interval" checkbox enabled. 

Problem is I can't see any reauths happening. I've a chromebook ultra connected to our PSK net on the desk behind me and its been running for more than an hour and I can't see any reauths.

Is there something else I need to configure on the mobility controller 

• 2.  RE: Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2018 08:55 AM

Make sure the "Reauthentication" parameter is also enabled in the mac authentication profile.

• 3.  RE: Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network

Posted Nov 07, 2018 09:03 AM

Yup it is..

and on our dev controller running latest 6.5 seems to work. Our production controller is a little bit behind version wise, so just checlking that out

• 4.  RE: Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2018 09:05 AM

You should turn on user debugging and see if the the client is receiving the reauthentication interval.  Also, typing "show user ip <ip address>" will show the reauthentication interval of the client.

• 5.  RE: Reauthenticating on a wpa2-psk network
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2018 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info ... everything working just fine now

A