Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Jul 19, 2018 02:29 PM

How do I reboot an Access Point from the GUI on Aruba Mobility master 8.2.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2018 03:12 PM

You couldn't reboot access points from the GUI in 6.x from the master either unless you reprovisioned them.  On the MM you can type:

(ArubaMM-VA) [mynode] #apboot ap-name <name of ap>

or go to Configuration> Access Points.  Select your access point and click on Provision.  Delete a character in the ap's name and then put it back so that the "submit" button appears (fake change).  The submit button will reboot the access point.

You typically don't have to reboot an access point unless you are changing the name, group or mesh status. 

• 3.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Oct 19, 2018 10:51 AM

thats kind of silly.  in my 6.5 environment i could go to to the maintenance tab click reboot ap and quickly reboot an ap or a few ap's.  To not be able to do that in 8.x is kinda annoying.  Doing it from the cli takes way longer as i have to figure out which controller its on and figure out the exact name.  Having to fake provision it seems like a bad idea.  Please bring the reboot option back to the gui as this has been a massive pain for me in 8.x. 

So far i am not loving the 8.x code.  Seems pretty half baked so far.  Lots of bugs and missing features compared to 6.x.  I rarely had to reboot ap's in 6.5 but now because 8.3 is kinda buggy we are finding we have to reboot ap's alot more often and now its much harder to do it.  

• 4.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 11:44 AM

@mwallen wrote:

thats kind of silly.  in my 6.5 environment i could go to to the maintenance tab click reboot ap and quickly reboot an ap or a few ap's. 

I will not justify removing that, but in the normal course of administering a network, you would typically only have to reboot if you change the name of an AP or the ap-group.  Nothing else requires a reboot, except for scheduled maintenance.  In that situation, it would be more convenient from the commandline to reboot groups of access points.

To not be able to do that in 8.x is kinda annoying.  Doing it from the cli takes way longer as i have to figure out which controller its on and figure out the exact name.

If you execute apboot from the MM, just like in 6.5( the master), it will figure out which controller it is on and reboot it.

Having to fake provision it seems like a bad idea.  Please bring the reboot option back to the gui as this has been a massive pain for me in 8.x. 

So far i am not loving the 8.x code.  Seems pretty half baked so far.  Lots of bugs and missing features compared to 6.x.  I rarely had to reboot ap's in 6.5 but now because 8.3 is kinda buggy we are finding we have to reboot ap's alot more often and now its much harder to do it.

8.3 added many features, a new configuration paradigm and new hardware.  8.x itself is a huge shift from 6.5, and it is complicated software.  Just the clustering aspect is very complex, so I would certainly expect some bugs.  Staying on conservative release software will minimize the exposure to bugs.  We have some of our largest customers running on 8.x and while it is not perfect, I would not say that it is half-baked.  Please contact TAC so they can guide you through the new paradigm to ease the transition or keep 8.x running in your lab until you are comfortable with it.

• 5.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Oct 19, 2018 11:57 AM

I would agree that in a normal environment i would not be rebooting my ap's very much but 8.3 have been so buggy for us we are rebooting them alot.  We have a building with 105's that has to get rebooted everynight or users cannot get connected after a day or 2 of uptime.

I understand that 8.x was a big undertaking but it also feels rushed.  Users are somewhat forced to upgrade to a buggy 8.3 if you want to use newer AP's like the 345(which we did and are using in a few classrooms for the dual 5ghz radio).  We have several tickets open with TAC and have not gotten resolution on lots of client connectivity issues and as i mentioned we have to reboot ap's way more frequently to resolve issues that did not happen with 6.5. 

I am not expecting a resolution in this thread i just wanted to reply/vent frustration to get another voice added to this issue so that hopefully the feature will get added back into the gui in the future.  Also dont get me wrong, i love the aruba products and dont want to switch, but so far as an organization we are just not thrilled with 8.3. 

• 6.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 12:36 PM

I will allow other voices to participate.

Feel free to use the [Rant] tag so that nobody responds to your issues.

If you are not getting getting anywhere with TAC at anytime you can ask the engineer to escalate.

• 7.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:20 AM

Any change? I'd like to also reboot my MCs in the GUI.

Disregard forgot this was under tasks....

Thanks.

• 8.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:41 AM

Hi 

You can reboot MC from WEBUI of MM or MC as well.

• 9.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

Posted Jun 23, 2020 06:56 PM

Aruba cant make v8 any better

They don't have a development team

The QA team is none existant

Management doesn't seem to care because these problems have been around since v8.0 and now they are on v8.6

and

they don't listen or care about what you say any way I have been saying this for 4 years.and the product has actually gotten worse

• 10.  RE: Reboot AP Aruba Mobility Master 8.2 GUI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2020 07:17 PM

You are entitled to your opinion. 

Closing this thread because it is more than a year old.