Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reboot Time After Upgrade

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Reboot Time After Upgrade

Posted Jul 15, 2018 09:19 AM

Hi All,

I have some questions in regards to the reboot time of the controllers.

So over the weekend, I had upgraded our controllers which is a cluster and managed by a MM. In total 2 7210's and one VM MM. 

1. Step 1 - Upgraded MM from version 8.2.0.1 to version 8.2.1.1

2. Step 2 - Used the task from MM to perform the cluster upgrade. 

3. Step 3 - Once the files were transferred, the leader controller had rebooted and it took almost 2.5 hours before the controllers came back up online -reachable only via ping. 

4. Step 4 - The secondary controller rebooted and it took almost 2.5 hours as well. 

There are about 380AP's associated with the controllers. 

Do you think my controllers are faulty as it takes just too long for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. 

Regards,

Kanes.R

• 2.  RE: Reboot Time After Upgrade
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2018 12:31 PM

The cluster live upgrade can take that long.  Please search for live upgrade in the document here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914  to see what is involved under the hood.  The advantage is that your users should maintain connectivity through the process for a l2-connected cluster that has enough RF density.

To make controllers and access points upgrade as fast as possible, you would just select the tasks> upgrade controllers option instead of upgrade cluster...    You would of course have to declare  a maintenance window, but the controllers will upgrade faster.

Also, avoid tftp at all costs, because that by itself is a slow protocol and will add time to any upgrade.