Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

Posted Sep 26, 2016 04:15 PM

The install guide for the AP-304 and AP-314 omits the recommended antenna configuration mention found in the AP-214 install guide.

I need documentation or a photo of the recommended antenna positioning for a wall mounted AP-304 or AP-314 using AP-ANT-20W antennas for a classic wall mounted omnidirectional radiation pattern.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 01:06 AM

While there have been some tests showing marginal performance improvements when the antennas are oriented in varying angles (0, +45, -45), it is generally recommended to simply orient all of the antennas vertically (up or down).

/Onno Harms, HPE Aruba Product Management.

• 3.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:06 PM

It's going to look a bit weird to have them straight up and down when the antennas are now on the front of the AP but it'll do.

Thanks for the guidance!

• 4.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:15 PM

Just to clarify, the antennas should be vertical.

I'm assuming the AP is wall mounted, which means you should fold the antenna up or down.

When on the ceiling you can just point them down, but in that case you would normally use the AP version with integrated antennas.

• 5.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:20 PM

I assumed as much.

Figured you meant the top two should be bent up and the bottom two should be bent down for a wall mounted omnidirectional.

• 6.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:30 PM

Yup

• 7.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:45 AM

Hi All,

I was thinking exactly the same for a 204 AP,

Having the 2 antennas straight down in a 'parrallel' fasion, thinking diversity.

But then I saw the hardware install guide where they say that you need to position them looking 'left' and 'right' in a 45° angle?

Can someone explain?

• 8.  RE: Recommended AP-304 and AP-314 Antenna Configurations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:54 AM

"While there have been some tests showing marginal performance improvements when the antennas are oriented in varying angles (0, +45, -45), it is generally recommended to simply orient all of the antennas vertically (up or down)."