Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

Posted Apr 11, 2017 03:51 AM

We have a pair of 7030 controllers (only one of which is configured right now), and some 50 APs (mostly 325 + 315).

I'm looking for some advice on how to implement redundancy for the controller. Just for the sake of completeness, right now, we only have one PEF license, for example.

What is the best deployment option for this scenario? Master / Master or Master / Local? I don't think we'll run into performance / throughput problems any time soon.

Also, I'd like to know which licenses are required in an M/M scenario? I assume all the licenses required on both controllers then?

• 2.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

Posted Apr 11, 2017 09:07 AM
    You can use a Master/Local design with centralized licensing enabled (licenses can be installed on the master and shared with locals controllers ) and Fast Failover/HA for redundancy
    HA
    http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-high-availability-fast-failover-feature-work-and-how-to/tac-p/286279
    Centralized licensing
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-and-verify-centralized-licensing-in-a-master/ta-p/187208

It is recommended to match your license count AP = PEF

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

You can use a Master/Local design with centralized licensing enabled (licenses can be installed on the master and shared with locals controllers ) and Fast Failover/HA for redundancy
    HA
    http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-high-availability-fast-failover-feature-work-and-how-to/tac-p/286279
    Centralized licensing
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-and-verify-centralized-licensing-in-a-master/ta-p/187208

It is recommended to match your license count AP = PEF

Get Outlook for iOS

• 4.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

Hi,

1. Master-local

In case you want to terminate the AP across both controllers, you can configure them in master-local mode.

However, the changes to the configuration can only be done via master. In case master controller is down, you can not make any changes to the configuration from the local controller.

As you have 50 AP's , you can have 25 AP's on master & 25 on local (you can use any ratio) & both the controllers can backup each other.

2. Master-Master /Master-Standby topology.

This requires both the controllers to be on same layer 2 network (for running vrrp).

All the AP's will be up on the master controller & other controller will act as redundant master.

In case the current master goes down, AP's will move to redundant master.

Licensing:

We can enable centralized licensing between the controllers. The number of licenses will be equal to number of AP's.

So, if you have 50 AP's , you will need 50 AP & 50 PEF licenses.

Master controller will act as licensing server. The licenses will become part of shared pool.

Eg: Lets assume all licenses are installed on the master. The 2nd controller is configured as either local/standby controller.

So, if master goes down, licenses can be used by local/standby controller as they are part of the shared pool.

Please refer to VRD or UG for additional information.

• 5.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

Posted Apr 12, 2017 02:04 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys. I already knew what options are available from reading the manual. Sorry if I wasn't clear(er) about that.

Also, thanks about the info about centralized licensing.

What I'm not sure is which option to choose. Master / Master or Master / Local. Each option seems to have advantages. Master / Master using VRRP seems to be easier to configure. 

So, which of the options would you guys implement given our setup?

• 6.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 12, 2017 02:21 AM

Hi,

It depends on the way the network is going to scale up.

Eg: 7030 controller can support up to 64 AP's.

At this point, you have 50 AP's. So, it does not matter much. If your network goes beyond 64 AP's:

1. Master-Master Redudancy:

You can not go beyond 64 AP's as only one controller will be active at a time.

2. Master-Local:

This allows you to terminate AP's on both master & local. So, you will be able to terminate more than 64 AP's in this setup.

Configuration:

1. The configuration is almost identical in both topologies.

The only difference is that it is mandatory to have atleast one interface of the controllers on same L2 segment to run VRRP in case of master-master redudancy.

Otherwise, there are just 3-4 commands which are required to configure master/master redudancy or master/local.

Note: As explained in my earlier response, controller is local role does not allow any kind of configuration changes (wireless profiles etc) irespective of whether master is up/down.

In master-master setup, it the current master goes down, then the 2nd controller will assume the role of the master & allow configuration changes to be done if any.

Please discuss these options with your Aruba SE or partner as well before implementing the changes.

• 7.  RE: Recommended Redundancy Deployment for 2 7030 controllers + 50 APs / Required Licenses

Posted Apr 12, 2017 02:24 AM

Thanks! That was what i needed to know!