Wireless Access

Recommended number of users for new Aruba AP models

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discused many times and there are many posts about that. What is the recommended number of users an AP can support? I know it depends of the users' application, the model of AP and so on. Many times customers and the pre-sales team ask me that question for a particular AP model, and I answer them that it depends, and they always told me "I know, but tell me an average more or less". I would like to know some recommendation or average taking into account the users will not use high BW applications, just as Jerrod said at this post:

Recommendations (which are fluid depending on use case) could be:

AP-103 = 30

AP-20x = 50

AP-21x = 75

AP-22x = 100

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/how-many-clients-on-aruba-s-AP/td-p/262353

That recommendation is for old AP models. Is there any similar for newer AP models (207 series, 300 series, 310 series, etc.)?

With that being said, another related doubt I have is there are people who says the default max clients per radio of 64 is a good value, while others say is too much and it would be better to set it to around 30.

Any thoughts about these doubts?

Regards,

Julián

Re: Recommended number of users for new Aruba AP models

Hi guys,

Any idea?

Regards,

Julián

Regular Contributor II

Hi,

maybe you can ask your Aruba SE/Partner SE and ask them to contact a TME wireless or a PLM to answer the question.

Cheers, Frank
Aruba Partner Ambassador| AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Guru Elite

@fjulianom wrote:

Hi guys,

Any idea?

Regards,

Julián

Take a look at the High Density VRD here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/vrd/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf

What ALL access points are limited by is RF performance.  The chart below was done with a AP-125, but the "ceiling" should be the same if you have 30 clients running on a 20mhz channel on the best access point, all trying to send traffic at the same time:

Screenshot 2018-06-25 at 10.46.22.pngThe chart above says if all clients were to try to send traffic at the same time, 30 clients would on average be able to send/receive 1.8 Mbps.  This would reflect a test-taking scenario when all clients would be on the AP and sending traffic at the same time.  In a regular scenario, all clients would not be sending and receiving traffic at the same time (like in a library), and you would want more users to be able to get on an access point.

Long story short, regardless of access point, I would plan for 30 users for each access point for the worst-case scenario (taking tests), so that users would be able to obtain 1.8 Mbps each.  Better access points like the AP-325 and AP-335 can certainly accept and handle more associations from clients due to higher CPU and Memory, but when subjected to the test-taking scenario, their RF throughput is limited to the numbers in the chart above.  Your chart might then look like this:

AP-207 = AP-103 = 30

AP-20x = 50

AP-31x = AP-21x = 75

AP-32x = AP-22x = 100

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase

Hi Colin,

Good VRD, many thanks! When you say

I would plan for 30 users for each access point for the worst-case scenario (taking tests), so that users would be able to obtain 1.8 Mbps each.

1. Do you mean setting max-clients-threshold to 30 so this is for each radio and the AP would support 60 clients?

2. In this case, what would happen when the 31th client tries to connect to the AP? Would this client receive a deauth from the IAP and try more luck with another near AP? 

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
Aruba

Max number of client devices is a complex subject. It depends on many factors. Types, mix and distribution (including location, distance) of client devices, environmental conditions, performance criteria, traffic type, application, to name a few.

On the AP, critical parameters are wi-fi chipset, cpu type and speed, memory size, forwarding mode, etc.

Therefore, any number provided is really more of a position number, illustrating the relatuve capabilituies of the AP platform, rather than an absolute or guaranteed number.

With that in mind, we typically use the following numbers (max active clients per AP):

- AP-207: 30

- AP-303: 30

- AP-304/305: 50

- AP-314/315: 75 

- AP-324/325: 100

- AP-334/335: 100

- AP-344/345: 100

Note that the hard limit on most current Aruba APs is 256 client associations per radio.

/Onno
Guru Elite

No, I don't mean to set a hard limit. When you are going through the planning stages, if your requirement is simultaneous bandwidth, don't plan for more than 30 users per access point.

Onno's chart above is what you should be following.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Regular Contributor II

Hi Onno

Thank you. And Thank you @cjospeh too

I reached out to @onno and he come through!

Hope it helps
Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'

Hi Onno and Colin,

Thanks for the explanation. Ok, clear about follow those guidelines when going through the planning stage. But then, when does it make sense to lower or change the max-client-threshold?

Regards,
Julián
Regular Contributor II

Hi

Stick to the defaults. Most times they are fine.

Cheers, Frank

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: