Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redirect URL without Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Redirect URL without Captive Portal

Posted Oct 30, 2012 01:35 AM

Is it possible to redirect users who associate with a WPA2 PSK SSID to a URL without using captive portal?  I have an upcoming event that is going to have about 2000 users on the WLAN and the customer wants to have a password protected SSID, but wants to have users redirected to a URL after they associate with the SSID. 

I don't think our 3600 controllers running 6.1.3.5 code can handle that many users with the built-in CP on the controller.  I know I can create a CP page with username/password as hidden fields and redirect, but it is still using the controllers CP resources.

Any suggestions, would be most appreciated.  If ClearPass is the answer, what ClearPass products do I need to accomplish this?  I don't need any crazy policies, just need something that can handle that many users if I have to use a Captive Portal to accomplish the URL redirect.  They key thing is that the users don't have to click anything or enter any additional information after associating with the SSID.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Redirect URL without Captive Portal

Posted Oct 30, 2012 06:17 AM

You need to use CaptivePortal for the redirect part, but should be enough using the inbuilt CaptivePortal from the 3600 controller.

• 3.  RE: Redirect URL without Captive Portal

Posted Oct 30, 2012 05:02 PM

You really think the 3600 Controller can handle that many captive portal sessions?  Everything I've seen suggests 65-100 people max (concurrently).

• 4.  RE: Redirect URL without Captive Portal

Posted Oct 30, 2012 09:51 PM

Update:  I was able to get the captive portal login page to automatically submit the form for login through the use of a tiny javascript (highlighted in red).  To increase the pause when submitting the form change the value from 1 to like 3000.

Now when someone attaches to the captive portal, the redirect is practically simultaneous and require no user interaction.  No graphics or text on the page and white background, just a blip in the browser when they attach to the SSID of the captive portal and then on to the redirected URL for the customer.  It was the best I could do, if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear from you.

Here is my code:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>

<title>Public wireless Internet access</title>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

setTimeout('document.form1.submit()',1);

</SCRIPT>

<style type="text/css">

.auto-style1 {

background-color: #FFFFFF;

}

</style>

</head>

<body style="background-color: #FFFFFF">

<div align="center">

<form name="form1" method="post" action="/auth/index.html/u">

<span class="bodytext">

<input type="hidden" name="user" id="user" type="text" value="user1" class="text" accesskey="u" />

<input type="hidden" id="password" name="password" type="password" size="25" value="abc123" class="text" accesskey="p" />

<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="authenticate" />

<input type="submit" name="Login" value="" class="auto-style1" />

</span>

</form>

</div>

</body>

</html>

• 5.  RE: Redirect URL without Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2012 11:06 PM

That is how you do it.

• 6.  RE: Redirect URL without Captive Portal

Posted Nov 13, 2012 07:17 AM

@answrman wrote:
    You really think the 3600 Controller can handle that many captive portal sessions?  Everything I've seen suggests 65-100 people max (concurrently).

do you have a source for that number? would like to see it.

and is that 65-100 people at the same time on the guest wireless or really getting the page for the first time and providing credentials?