Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

Posted Jul 30, 2019 09:46 AM

Hello,

i want to know how many regulatory domains for HP wifi controller, i mean if have many access points in all the world , in a different continents and countries, how many controller should i have to handle them all?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:05 AM

Controllers (as in Aruba controllers...) are usually ordered based on the following domains and their AP capacity: 

US = United States

IL = Israel

JP = Japan

RW = Rest of World

From here this controller will terminate said AP of that country. You will be able to find this information in the data sheet of the respective controller.

If you wish to know which APs are certified for which countries, you can do so by checking the DRT:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/DRT/Default.htm

• 3.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:19 AM
    And Egypt?

• 4.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:06 AM

Are you talking about Aruba controllers?

You have different hardware version for various countries, USA, Israel, Egypt and Japan and 1 type for the rest of the world(RW).

If you are using RW controllers you can configure the regulatory domain profile per AP (or ap-group). So you can just install a RW controller and RW AP's on a site, and set the regulatory domain profile to the country where it is installed.

• 5.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:19 AM
    Yes Aruba controllers.
    So is it possible to use just one RW controller on my company and use it to manage all acess points in different the whole world? Or I need an RW controller in each country like one in US ,one in Japan and one for the rest of the world?

• 6.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:24 AM

This will answer your question :

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Can-I-terminate-non-US-APs-on-a-US-controller-for-an/ta-p/181926

You would be better off having a ROW for all APs outside of the US and a US controller for APs in the US.

• 7.  RE: Regulatory Domains for HP Wifi controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:47 AM

Controller-based APs in restricted countries (US, IL, EG, and JP) must terminate on restircted controllers located within the borders of said restricted controllers (US, IL, EG, and JP). That means you cannot deploy a ROW controller in US, IL, JP, or EG to terminate APs form outside those restricted countries. Conversely, you cannot terminate APs located in those resitrcted countries to terminate on controllers outside of those resitrcted countries. 

If you have a global deployment, which involves or includes said resitrcted countries, you will need a controller in each of those countries to terminate those APs. 

A Mobility Master can manage mobility controllers in multiple regions since APs never terminate on the MM. 

Same holds true for IAP, any IAPs deployed in those resitrcted countries must be purchased using part numbers specific to those restricted countries. So you cannot deploy IAP-315-US anywhere outside the US, and you cannot deploy an IAP-315-RW inside the US.