Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote AP Configuration

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Remote AP Configuration

Posted May 27, 2014 10:27 PM
      |   view attached

Hi

I need some help on wireless setup based on attached diagram scenario.

Our office network (Site A) recently expand to Site B. All our WAN traffic has been migrate to Site B. Previously Site A has already have Aruba controller and AP running. We put the controller an APs in the same segment and the Core switch act as DHCP to all wireless users.

Now, we already have Site B ready with LAN and WAN, we wanted to put some AP here, and use back the existing Aruba controller to manage it. Site B DHCP will be provided by Site B Core Switch (different VLAN and segment from Site A).

Site A and Site B is totally separate where VLAN on Site A are different from Site B.

To simplify it:

Site A wireless user get DHCP from Site A Core SW and they go to internet thru Site B WAN link

Site B wireless user get DHCP from Site B Core SW and they go to internet thru Site B WAN link

My question is:

Is this consider remote AP?

In my controller I can saw the AP from Site B, but Im not sure how to configure it correctly as it will get DHCP from different source. Also it reside at different VLAN from Site A.

How should I configure this AP ?

• 2.  RE: Remote AP Configuration

Posted May 27, 2014 11:17 PM

Is this consider remote AP?

Not necessarily 

In my controller I can saw the AP from Site B, but Im not sure how to configure it correctly as it will get DHCP from different source. Also it reside at different VLAN from Site A.

As long as the AP is able to reach the controller this shouldn't be an issue , you could use DHCP option 43 and point the AP to that controller 

How many APs are you planning to have in that location ?

Please read the following :

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_61/ArubaOS_61_UG/AP_Config.php 

Optimize APs Over Low-Speed Links

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/RAPVRD_version_8.pdf 

• 3.  RE: Remote AP Configuration

Posted May 28, 2014 05:17 AM

Hi victorfabian

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean configure DHCP option 43 at switch (which giving out the DHCP)?

Our problem now is how to let the wireless user from site B get DHCP from site B core switch instead of site A core switch.

Eg: site A wireless equipments is under VLAN 100 (controller and AP is under this vlan), site B wireless equipment and wireless user is under VLAN 200 (we will install 3 AP here).

We want the wireless user traffic at site B directly go out from here instead of go back to site A again then go out (1 big round).

We use tunneling for AP at site B to go back to site A controller. But in our controller do not have vlan 200, so it still cannot go out.

We did some testing where we tunnel back to site A and push site A wireless profile into site B AP, it work. But we do not want this type of configuration.

Is this achieveable via brigde-mode or split-tunnel?

• 4.  RE: Remote AP Configuration
    Best Answer

Posted May 28, 2014 10:08 AM

Do you mean configure DHCP option 43 at switch (which giving out the DHCP)?

Yes

Our problem now is how to let the wireless user from site B get DHCP from site B core switch instead of site A core switch.
    Eg: site A wireless equipments is under VLAN 100 (controller and AP is under this vlan), site B wireless equipment and wireless user is under VLAN 200 (we will install 3 AP here).
    On your controller create the VLAN200 and then assign an IP helper address of the DHCP server in SITE B , that is of course if that segment exist on that location

We want the wireless user traffic at site B directly go out from here instead of go back to site A again then go out (1 big round).

You should configure split tunneling and define the traffic that needs to go back and to SITE A and the rest should stay local

We can use tunneling for AP at site B to go back to site A controller. But in our controller do not have vlan 200, so it still cannot go out

If you can't assign that VLAN over then is better if you configure it to be on bridge mode , but the question is if there's any traffic that needs to go back to SITE A

We did some testing where we tunnel back to site A and push site A wireless profile into site B AP, it work. But we do not want this type of configuration.

How many clients and APs do you guys have on that location ?

Is this achieveable via brigde-mode or split-tunnel?

• 5.  RE: Remote AP Configuration

Posted May 28, 2014 09:39 PM

Thanks Victor

We manage to achieve it by using bridge mode. There will be no traffic needed to go back to Site A.

Thank You very much!

• 6.  RE: Remote AP Configuration

Posted May 29, 2014 01:53 PM

Beautiful...