Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote AP vs Campus AP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 11:39 AM

Hi All,

I have Campus AP AP-115. My Controllers are installed in Main Data Center and Campus Access Points (AP-115) are on different braches. My customer wants from me to create an IPSec Tunnel from Controller to APs for secure communication, I tested it successfully by converting the CAPs to Remote AP by definining White List and enabling CPSec. So the question is if i can convert Campus AP to remote AP then why i need specialize Remote AP. 

• 2.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 11:42 AM

Campus APs cannot communicate over a NAT boundary (like the internet).  Only remote APs can.

Campus APs communicate over IPSEC, yes, but only Remote APs are designed to communicate over a NAT boundary.

• 3.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 12:05 PM

Thanks for your quick response. What i understood from your reply is if my CAP is behind the NAT or i can say if my CAP is on public IP in that case i will need remote AP. 

But if i have reacability to my CAP through some VPN then in that case what is your suggestion.

• 4.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 12:08 PM

If it is on the local lan or a lan that is extended via VPN connection, it is easier to provision a CAP.  That is what should be used...

• 5.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot for your help brother. 

So let me summarize this..

Case-1: If my CAPs are inside my LAN or my LAN is extended through VPN to my branch offices then i can Provision CAP as a RAP.

Case-2: if my CAP is behind the NAT then in that case i will go for Remote AP. 

• 6.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 01:36 PM

Please explain what you mean by "go for Remote AP". Are you referring to our RAP product SKUs? Those are merely differentiated in hardware (optimized for desktop deployment, local wired ports, POE out but not in, to name a few).

All physical Aruba AP variants (campus, remote, hospitality, ruggedized and outdoor) can be deployed in RAP (software) mode.

• 7.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 01:54 PM

As stated above, my comapny wants from me to create an IPSec tunnel between controller and Access Points (AP-115). I contacted Aruba TAC for that few months ago and they share the steps how can i do it. I performed the test on AP-105 and i was successfully did it. Actually we convert the Campus AP to RAP in that steps.

Today I raised the point if i can do the same thing from the CAP then why i need Remote AP. So "cjoseph" reply to me and you can see his reply.

If you can eloborate it to me i will be thankful to you.

• 8.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 02:02 PM

w.ullah@bmc.com.sa wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help brother. 

So let me summarize this..

Case-1: If my CAPs are inside my LAN or my LAN is extended through VPN to my branch offices then i can Provision CAP as a RAP.  

Case-2: if my CAP is behind the NAT then in that case i will go for Remote AP. 

To be clear Case #1, you just use access points configured as campus APs.  EDIT: You need to make sure that control plane security is on (by default it is).

Case#2, you use access points configured as remote APs only if there is NAT between your controller and access points.

Why does your job want you to build ipsec tunnels?

• 9.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 02:12 PM

Thanks once again cjoseph.

Actually they want to secure the communication.

• 10.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 02:33 PM

Allright.  Campus APS with CPSEC would solve that problem 99% of the time.

On the internet, you would just simply use a RAP.

• 11.  RE: Remote AP vs Campus AP

Posted May 01, 2017 02:39 PM

Thanks cjoseph for your help :)