Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 08:10 AM

Hi Team, I need some advise below:-

I have a small site Sales company which is in Jakarta, they have Aruba AP installed and configured. But the Aruba WLC is located in Penang main campus.

The AP will need to get the IP address (such as Guest/Employee Hot Spot/Normal Wireless) from the Penang WLC. When i check in the Aruba IP, the AP IP is 192.168.132.89 while the outer AP IP is 10.253.50.x where this is the Aruba AP management IP.

By the way, what's the meaning of Aruba AP IP and the outer AP IP?

Please advise.

• 2.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 08:45 AM

I assume these AP's are configured as RAP's? The outer IP would be the IP address assigned to the AP, such as eth0. The IP (sometimes inner IP) would be the IP address assigned from the RAP pool.

• 3.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 09:35 AM
    What do you mean by RAP?

• 4.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 09:37 AM

Hey, a remote AP is a RAP. This uses IPSEC to speak to the controller. A RAP would use an outer IP as well as an inner AP. If you want to provide the output of #show ap database we can confirm if the AP is configured as a RAP.

• 5.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 09:48 AM
      |   view attached

Inside the attached, I can see that RA and RA2, what this means?

Why there is 2 types of IP - IP Address(192.168.x.x) and outer IP (10.253.50.x)?

Attachment(s)

txt
    AP Active.txt   710 B 1 version

• 6.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 09:49 AM
    The outer ip is the local IP of the uplink or the APitself

Get Outlook for iOS

• 7.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:15 AM

How to check in CLI whether the HREAP design is used in the wireless network?

• 8.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:19 AM

HREAP is Cisco.

Easiest way to check to see if an AP is up as a RAP, is to run show user-table verbose and look to see if you have any VPN connections from the APs.

• 9.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:28 AM

How to know that if if you have any VPN connections from the APs (in the command output)?

• 10.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:30 AM

It will say VPN and have a public IP address...

• 11.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:58 AM
      |   view attached

Inside the attachnemnt, you can see that there is IP address and also outer IP address?

Is there any relationship between this 2 IP address? Using NAT for the network address translation between the public and private IP address?

Attachment(s)

txt
    AP Active Table.txt   537 B 1 version

• 12.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 11:01 AM

RAPs have an outer IP which is generally a public IP (but could be private if on another part of your network) which is used for the RAP to create a secure tunnel to the controller. The inner IP is used for actual AP communication between the AP and controller.

Looks like you have some APs provisioned as RAPs. Are they traversing the internet?

• 13.  RE: Remote Aruba WLC and Aruba AP

Posted Jul 28, 2016 11:14 AM

The RAP is located at the remote site Jakarta office. And all users conected to the RAP for internet. ANy concern?