Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS

Posted May 22, 2019 01:58 PM

I recently had a 7205 controller die during an upgrade from 6.5.4.9 to 6.5.4.12.  I have a new controller to replace the broken one with but was wondering about the best way to put it back in place.  The Master is still in service and running and has all the licenses on it.  I only have a text config backup of the dead device.  Can I just simply copy/paste this into the replacement and put it back in service or am I over simplifying this?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

• 2.  RE: Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2019 02:58 PM

If your issue happened during an upgrade, you should contact TAC since it rendered a controller inoperable.  For your second question, your copy and paste, unless it was with unencrypted passwords, might not work correctly.

• 3.  RE: Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS

Posted May 22, 2019 08:04 PM

Yes, I already contacted TAC and they replaced the controller.  I am, however, unable to find any useful documentation on how to replace a standby controller in a master/standby role.  Everything that I have found thus far has revolved around replacing the master which, thankfully, wasn't what died during the upgrade.  I tried to simply copy the backup config file from USB to the new Controller which kind of rendered it inoperable so I had to fall back to the default config  that I had already set up when I got it out of the box.  I guess I am just used to other network equipment (non-FIPS) where I can just replace the config, reboot, and put it back in service.  I guess I will have to open yet another case with TAC just to get this back up and running without any more issues unless someone can come up with a better suggestion.  Thanks for the input though.

• 4.  RE: Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2019 09:05 PM

That is your best option.

With regards to the backup controller, in general you would give it an  ip address, a lower priority on the samw VRRP as the master and configure master redundancy on it.  Adding it would make it a backup master (standby) and it would get its global configuration.  It is best that you have TAC lead you through the specifics of that, because there is a chance that you misconfigure the VRRP and the master controller would get wiped.  For real.

• 5.  RE: Replace Standby controller in Master/Standby pair, ArubaOS 6.5.4.12-FIPS
    Best Answer

Posted May 30, 2019 07:27 AM

Secondary Controller is back in service after a call to TAC.  The proper way to place the controller back into a Master/Standby is as you suggested.  The steps we took were as follows.

Run through the intial configuration of the Controller to set up the basic settings.  Once that is complete, load the Controller specific information such as Interface configurations, VLANs, Certificates, User accounts.

Configure VRRP settings and join the new Standby back to the HA Group.  Once complete, wait for synchronization to occur between the 2 controllers.  Verify configuration and make sure nothing is awry or missing from the new Standby.