Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reset RAP remotely

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 22, 2014 11:45 AM

Is there a way to reset RAPs remotely w/o needing physical access?

I re-provisioned some RAPs on offshore locations which didnt show up on the new controller. They do have an ip and are pingable however.

My last resort would be sending someone to the installation and gain physical access. Will be a headache though.

• 2.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 23, 2014 07:21 AM

Someone reset the RAP5-WN, and I still can't get it online.

After a reset, the RAP will search for a controller right? I have a DNS entry "aruba-master" which is pointing to our new controller.

Somehow the RAP want to connect to the old controller IP. Does this mean the reset isn't done properly?

• 3.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 07:48 AM

RAPs do not search for Aruba-Master.  They either need the IP address put in the Zero Touch provisioning page or you would put a helper-address on your router that fowards udp 8211 traffic to your controller.

• 4.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 23, 2014 08:16 AM

Are you sure? If i reset a RAP to factory default it wont be able to find its controller using DNS?

• 5.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 08:18 AM
    RAP devices, no, because they are expected to be provisioned at a remote site. Aruba-Master.<company>.com usually resolves to nothing on the public internet. They can find a controller using Local broadcasts, however.

• 6.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 23, 2014 08:36 AM

Ok, thats new for me, thanks.

The RAP is in a different subnet so I might wanne set the dhcp option.

• 7.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:23 AM

option43.png

I added DHCP option 43 to the relevant DHCP server. 10.20.6.25 is the IP the RAP is able to reach. I can ping the RAP from 10.20.6.25. Is this right?

• 8.  RE: Reset RAP remotely
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:26 AM
    Enveekaa,

If you accidentally set the controller IP to an incorrect address in the access point the dhcp option will not work. You will need to use the physical reset procedure.

• 9.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:39 AM

It has been reset :)

• 10.  RE: Reset RAP remotely

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Then you should be fine.