Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

Posted Mar 26, 2014 12:52 PM

I'm curious if anyone is running an implementation that has dot11n and dot11ac where the clients roam between.  The Aruba docs mention that if a client is connected to an ac access point it will be hesitant to switch to an n access point and there could be issues if it's going from say 80mhz to 40mhz.  Would the expectation be that there would only be an issue going from ac to n and not the other way around?

• 2.  RE: Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

Posted Mar 27, 2014 04:24 PM

no takers?

• 3.  RE: Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

Posted Mar 28, 2014 11:41 AM

I've got no help, but - very interesting question. I'd not considered the impact of this. 

I am looking to deploy my first 802.11ac devices in the next month or two. They'll be located near a bunch of 802.11n devices, so when it's all installed I'll be able to experiment!

On the face of it, i'd think that by probing a client would be able to successfully identify suitable networks nearby and when joining a new one, configure itself according to the advertised capabilities of the new network.

• 4.  RE: Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

Posted Mar 29, 2014 05:54 PM

I've got some clients running a mixed implementation and feedback hasn't been bad. i think clientmatch certainly helps but most of the clients are only 802.11n capable anyway so not a huge issue.

scott

• 5.  RE: Roaming between dot11ac and dot11n

Posted Mar 31, 2014 08:51 AM

I think we would be in the same situation in the beginning where it would just be n clients so I wouldn't expect any issues.  I've heard from other people now that mixing and roaming wasn't an issue for them but it does make mention of it in the Aruba docs