Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

Posted Apr 20, 2017 08:21 AM

Dear Community,

i'am looking for a solution for a special case.

Imagine if you were able to implement a project where a customer has rented several internet access lines (100MBit/s) along a shopping street. Each Line  (breakout) has it's own Router und LAN. You'll have an Accesspoint in each of this "internet access locations (ial)". Let us assume that each ial forms a zone and borders to the next. 

All the APs should run as Instant AP without Controller, because the traffic should be bridged out, firewalled and web filtered locally.

Users musst be authenticated by Clearpass CaptivePortal.

The customer's requirement is that the end users Devices can stream without interruption videos as they walk along the street.

I never tried roaming in such a case. 

Is it possible to sync the user-sessions between iap cluster?

What are the restrictions and prerequisites?

Any other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance 

Markus

• 2.  RE: Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 12:36 PM

If the ISP is different between clusters, the public address will be different.  On the face of it, that will not be possible because the server will always see the traffic from different ISPs as a different session...

• 3.  RE: Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 28, 2017 06:54 AM

hi josep,

regarding the streaming no problem, because the client will cache enough data. This might be more interesting in relation with voice calls. But my main question was, if layer 3 roaming ist possible with IAPs. meanwhile i got an answer from an Aruba expert, who said that layer 3 Roaming is possible but not really a "preffered" feature.

Tahnks a lot

Markus

• 4.  RE: Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

Posted May 24, 2018 10:33 PM
    Hi Markus and Colin,

Does that mean that roaming between clusters of IAPs works theoretically but not practically? I wonder the same because I have to implement a network with some Instant clusters and roaming among them.

Regards,
    Julián

• 5.  RE: Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 25, 2018 10:21 AM

@fjulianom wrote:
    Does that mean that roaming between clusters of IAPs works theoretically but not practically? I wonder the same because I have to implement a network with some Instant clusters and roaming among them.

The OP had a unique case involving NAT, streaming, and different ISP links between clusters. What are the roaming requirements for the network you're working to implement? 

• 6.  RE: Roaming possible between Airwave managed IAP clusters

Posted May 25, 2018 10:35 AM
    Hi Charlie,

My question is only regarding to L3 mobility between clusters, if it works well or not, without taking into account the NAT/ISP issue of this case. I will not have this issue in my case. I open a new thread for my case:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Roaming-and-authentication-case-with-Instant-clusters/td-p/427862

Regards,
    Julián