Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rogue Containment

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Rogue Containment

Posted Mar 15, 2013 08:46 PM

Hello Aruba Gurus,

I am trying to manually contain an 802.11g device. I tried using a deauth containment but I don't see any deauth packets sent. I even checked with the controller by doing a show ids general-profile..... and there are no containments. When a device is manually contained, is it contained based on the wireless containment set under the general IDS profile? Also, if we are using a dedicated air monitor, how long will it deauth the client and how often? I also tried a tarpit approach but it did not work. We are using an aruba 6000 with OS 6.1 and with an AP 61. Not sure if the AP 61 can't do containment. We also have 105 types of AP but I have not tried that yet. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Rogue Containment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2013 08:44 AM

@baboyero wrote:

Hello Aruba Gurus,

I am trying to manually contain an 802.11g device. I tried using a deauth containment but I don't see any deauth packets sent. I even checked with the controller by doing a show ids general-profile..... and there are no containments. When a device is manually contained, is it contained based on the wireless containment set under the general IDS profile? Also, if we are using a dedicated air monitor, how long will it deauth the client and how often? I also tried a tarpit approach but it did not work. We are using an aruba 6000 with OS 6.1 and with an AP 61. Not sure if the AP 61 can't do containment. We also have 105 types of AP but I have not tried that yet. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Are you using automatic or manual containment?  Please check to see if the bssid of the ROGUE ap is classified as a rogue:

show wms ap list | include <rogue ap bssid>

Next, see if any APs can see that rogue:

show wms ap <rogue ap bssid>

show wms rogue-ap <rogue ap bssid>

1. show ap monitor ap-list ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap after running master controller command>

- look to see the current classification of the rogue ap and see if dos is enabled. 

2. show ap monitor client-list ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for the clients MAC that is connecting to the rogue.

3. show ap monitor containment-info ap-name <aruba ap name>

- TONS of info. This one shows if the Aruba AP is tarpitting, DOS’n

4. show ap arm scan-times ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for WIF Scan Times to see how long the AP stays on the channel where rogue ap is at

5. show ap monitor active-laser-beams ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for any ap names dosing

- look at inactive time

• 3.  RE: Rogue Containment

Posted Mar 16, 2013 10:36 PM

Right now we are just trying to manually contain devices. If I understand it correctly, any device can be contained. It does not have to match any rule, as long as you select this specific device and select manually contain it the device should be contained. However, even if there is a wireless containment (I tried both tarpit and deauth) none of these worked.

• 4.  RE: Rogue Containment

Posted Mar 16, 2013 10:47 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

@baboyero wrote:

Hello Aruba Gurus,

Are you using automatic or manual containment?  Please check to see if the bssid of the ROGUE ap is classified as a rogue:

show wms ap list | include <rogue ap bssid>

Next, see if any APs can see that rogue:

show wms ap <rogue ap bssid>

show wms rogue-ap <rogue ap bssid>

1. show ap monitor ap-list ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap after running master controller command>

- look to see the current classification of the rogue ap and see if dos is enabled. 

2. show ap monitor client-list ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for the clients MAC that is connecting to the rogue.

3. show ap monitor containment-info ap-name <aruba ap name>

- TONS of info. This one shows if the Aruba AP is tarpitting, DOS’n

4. show ap arm scan-times ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for WIF Scan Times to see how long the AP stays on the channel where rogue ap is at

5. show ap monitor active-laser-beams ap-name <ap name that sees the rogue ap>

- look for any ap names dosing

- look at inactive time

Hello,

Right now we are just trying to manually contain devices. If I understand it correctly, any device can be contained. It does not have to match any rule, as long as you select this specific device and select manually contain it the device should be contained. However, even if there is a wireless containment (I tried both tarpit and deauth) none of these worked.

• 5.  RE: Rogue Containment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2013 11:33 PM
    Try to contain the access point that the device is connecting to.