Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Role-Based Vlan Pools

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 02:12 PM

Is there a way to set a server rule under an Authentication Server Group so that a user gets assigned to a VLAN Pool as opposed to just specific VLAN?

• 2.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2013 02:16 PM

There is not a way at this time.

You may decide that you want to assign a group of users a different role, but just allow them to consume the same pool under the VAP.

• 3.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 02:54 PM
    Thanks, can you elaborate on how I could achieve what I'm looking for?

• 4.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 03:28 PM
    As Colin mention this type of setup unfortunately is not possible at the moment

• 5.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:01 PM

Okay.  I thought there might have been an alternative method to acheive what I wanted by this comment.

"You may decide that you want to assign a group of users a different role, but just allow them to consume the same pool under the VAP."

• 6.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:04 PM

The question is.... What are you trying to accomplish?  What is your situation?

• 7.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:09 PM

I would like to assign students who authenticate via 802.1x to be assigned to a VLAN Pool on the same SSID as everyone else.    As opposed to just a single VLAN.

• 8.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:12 PM

Okay, so you might want to turn it around, then:

Assign a pool of VLANs to the Virtual AP.  If a student authenticates via 802.1x just allow them on the radius server side or assign a role that does NOT have a VLAN assigned.  For others, you can assign them to a role that has a single VLAN tied to the role:

Your Virtual AP has vlans 10,20,30.

When your students authenticate, they will end up in one of those VLANs.

Say a faculty member authenticates, you can respond with the radius server with a single VLAN that you want faculty in, or a role that has a single VLAN tied to it.

Does that make sense?

• 9.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:40 PM

Absolutely.  I definitely follow your logic. 

Until they come out with the ability to do the role based stuff then I wouldn't be able to assign staff to a pool using the same SSID.

Thanks for all your input!

• 10.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2013 04:42 PM

If it will make you feel better, we have people using /22 networks with "drop broadcast and multicast" enabled on the VAP/VLAN and they have not had performance issues to speak of.  In other words, a single larger VLAN would be a supported move.

• 11.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 05:14 PM

That does.. There is a chance we could go 1-1 with iPads, about 900 extra devices....and I'd like to break it up as much as possible.

I'd just like to be as ready as possible for a large deployment.

Thanks to you and everyone else being patient with me.  I'm learning a lot from you all!

Chad

• 12.  RE: Role-Based Vlan Pools

Posted Mar 24, 2013 02:44 PM
    Based on the information provided at the airheads conf this will available in the 6.3 AOS code