Wireless Access

Contributor II

Routing back to clustered setup for user gateways

Hi,

This is regards to Aruba OS 8. The topology we are using is a pair of VMMs and a clustered setup of VMCs in a L2 cluster. We want to put the user gateways on the controllers.

So what I did was to do a VRRP setup between the two, but I am running into issues with the routing back to the cluster.

Controller #1(IP 192.168.100.2):

int vlan 100

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

ip helper address 10.0.0.10

operstate up

vrrp 100

ip address 192.168.1.1

vlan 100

no shutdown

Controller #2 (IP 192.168.100.3):

int vlan 100

ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

ip helper address 10.0.0.10

operstate up

vrrp 100

ip address 192.168.1.1

priority 110

vlan 100

no shutdown

The VIP for our clustered setup is 192.168.100.1. So I created static routes on our routers pointing 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.100.1.  This has not worked. Is there something I am doing wrong? I'm struggling to find out why it's so hard to get the gateways working on AOS8. In AOS6 with master and FO, it was easy enough cause we put the .1s on each master and pointed the routes to the VIP.

Is pointing to the VIP for for the controller clusters the proper way to route back to the cluster? Is there something else wrong with my setup? TAC has not been that helpful in relaying Aruba's recommendation to me.

Thanks for any help.

Guru Elite

Re: Routing back to clustered setup for user gateways

Don't have the clustered controllers route your user traffic. Allow your routing infrastructure to do that.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor II

But we would like to keep the user gateways on the controllers. How can I achieve this?

How do I route the traffic to the cluster when the clients get load balanced between the controllers in the cluster?

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Hi root,

From my point of view, you have only two options:

1. Do not use your controller as the gateway. Simply do a L2 forwarding on the controllers. 
  2. Use NAT on the controllers. 

Routing could not work, as you never know, which controller the current user anchor controller is.

BR

Florian 

visit our Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ/featured
Please visit my personal blog as well:
https://www.flomain.de
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: