Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

Posted Oct 17, 2014 11:17 AM

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.....is there any way to run a command on an Aruba 3600 controller using SNMP. Due to an unexpected uptake in wireless services our controller keeps running out of IP addresses in its DHCP pool (understand that this is limited to 512 clients on this controller) - so I find myself running a CLEAR IP DHCP BIND command sometimes twice a day.

We are looking at an external DHCP server, but until then I want to wriet a script that will run the command every 4 hours or so....

All help gratefully recieved.

• 2.  RE: Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2014 11:19 AM

A python pexpect script that simply logs in and runs the command would be a better option. I don't think you can clear leases via SNMP

• 3.  RE: Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

Posted Oct 17, 2014 11:21 AM

have you got a script I could "borrow" - not very familiar with Python...

• 4.  RE: Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2014 11:23 AM

I don't have one, but this should get you started:

http://www.copyandwaste.com/posts/view/pexpect-python-and-managing-devices-tratto/

• 5.  RE: Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2014 12:53 PM

@paul.williams wrote:

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.....is there any way to run a command on an Aruba 3600 controller using SNMP. Due to an unexpected uptake in wireless services our controller keeps running out of IP addresses in its DHCP pool (understand that this is limited to 512 clients on this controller) - so I find myself running a CLEAR IP DHCP BIND command sometimes twice a day.

We are looking at an external DHCP server, but until then I want to wriet a script that will run the command every 4 hours or so....

All help gratefully recieved.

Paul.williams,

Why don't you just decrease the lease time?

• 6.  RE: Run commands on Aruba 3600 using SNMP

Posted Oct 20, 2014 09:27 AM

Yep - that was my suggestion, but I was told that this would cause the users issues....

Our lease is current set to 24 hrs, which means that someone logging in at 3pm for two hours holds the IP address until 3pm tomorrow even if they are not in the office.....I have tried expalining this but we have been told my higher ups that reducing the lease is not an option to be investigated.

We are looking at an off device DHCP server (possibly InfoBlox) or replacing the controllers with one that can cope with more than 512 IP addresses.