Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Same SSID Name in 2 Different Wireless Controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Same SSID Name in 2 Different Wireless Controller

Posted Jan 25, 2018 12:29 PM

I need to replace existing HP Access Point which are controlled by HP MSM 720 currently. New Devices will be IAP-305 which are Instant Access Point. So One of the new IAP will be acting as Virtual Controller.

I have 3 buildings running this wireless network. All 3 building are beside to each other.

My plan is to replace existing AP with the new access Point with same SSID and Password configured in new IAP. But problem is at that time same SSID will be also transmistted from Access Point of beside building. And those Access Points are controlled by HP MSM Controller.

Now the question is , is there any problem if the same SSID is transmitted from 2 different controller from 2 different building what are the risk ? If any how it can be mitigated ?

BR//Subrun

• 2.  RE: Same SSID Name in 2 Different Wireless Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 01:10 PM

If you make sure that they put the client on the same layer 2 vlan, use the same encryption and channel width, it might be able to work.  If the power difference between the two networks is great, you might have some roaming issues as the clients might want to prefer the other network.