Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

Posted Sep 11, 2020 11:06 AM

I have the mobility master installed on a VM, running 8.7.0.0.

In the event, the physical server hardware fails, I would like the option to restore the MM from a flash backup. Is it possible to create an automated or scheduled backup of the Mobility Master flashbackup.tar.gz? I understand that I can manually create a backup of the MM. 

What is the recommendation or best practice for automating a backup

of the MM flash? 

• 2.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 11, 2020 11:22 AM

Hi Athony,

The most easy and recommended method is to use Aruba Airwave for monitoring. Airwave can create automatic flash backups from your Mobility Master. Not only from your MM but also from all your switches to keep all configuration backups centrally managed.

Off course you are free to script it yourself with a simple SSH python script or make use of the powerful REST API interface.

For some API example see this topic:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Developer-Community/How-to-ArubaOS-8-flash-backup-and-file-copy-using-API/td-p/626781

Hope this helps you!

• 3.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

Posted Nov 09, 2020 09:50 AM
    Hi, when saying that "Airwave can create automatic flash backups from your Mobility Master" do you mean by that nightly_data00x.tar.gz files, or from specific MM? If later is the case where can we configure this option? Thanks.

------------------------------
    Nebojsa Markovic

• 4.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2020 10:58 AM
    Airwave automatically creates flashbackup.tar.gz from an MM nightly.  Please search the Airwave documentation for "backups".

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

Posted Nov 09, 2020 11:59 AM
    Thanks Joseph, but if I understood Marcel correctly there is a way of polling flash backup from a specific MM (I might be wrong), not only a AMP backup file.

[NesaM - ACMP|ACCP|ACDP]

• 6.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2020 12:54 PM
    @NesaM,

For every Aruba controller/MM device in Airwave that you have a username and password defined, it will backup the flash nightly during maintenance.  You can also do a manual backup, by going to the config portion of that device:

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

Posted Nov 09, 2020 01:30 PM
    Thanks @cjoseph, much appreciated! This will work for us until utilize Ansible and APIs. ​​

[NesaM - ACMP|ACCP|ACDP]

• 8.  RE: Scheduled Backup of Mobility Master Flashbackup.tar.gz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2020 03:05 PM
    @NesaM

To be clear, the flashbackup is an entire backup of the MM.  This backup also contains all of the configuration of the MDs​.  If you already have Airwave, this is done every morning at 4am automatically.  If you want it done besides that schedule, you can click on the "backup now" button.  If you do not have airwave or if you have a specific backup server where you want to automate this function for organized archiving, that is when I would consider scripts.  Besides that, typically Airwave is already doing that.