Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Screencast to Chromecast

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 03, 2015 11:56 AM

I've had a ticket open with TAC on the inability to screencast from android devices to Chromecasts for a bit and hoped upgrading to 6.4.x would resolve the issue. Alas, the problem persists. Using SOHO WiFi routers, this works fine. Does anyone have screencasting working in an Aruba controller based environment?

Thanks,

Robert

• 2.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 04, 2015 03:19 AM
    When you upgraded to 6.4 did you enable the chromecast/DIAL services in airgroup?

• 3.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 04, 2015 08:51 AM

Yes. The chromecasts are visible on the network and casting from apps like YouTube and Netflix works. What isn't working is casting the screen of the device. When one selects that option, a message indicates that it can't find any Chromecasts, even though they are visible to the chromecast app and other apps. 

Here is the service enabled/disabled status.

AirGroup Service Information

----------------------------
    Service Status
    ------- ------
    airplay Enabled
    airprint Enabled
    itunes Disabled
    remotemgmt Disabled
    sharing Disabled
    chat Disabled
    googlecast Enabled
    DIAL Enabled
    DLNA Media Enabled
    DLNA Print Disabled
    allowall Disabled

• 4.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 18, 2015 09:35 AM

I'm still working with TAC on this issue. When looking at the Chromecast app, the primary screen shows the Chromecast device list. Running show airgroup servers provides a list similar to this:

d0:e7:82:f3:50:d2 10.3.4.73 DLNA Chromecast DIAL 4 wireless Casting c0ap02-itconf
    6c:ad:f8:7b:57:d3 10.3.4.19 DLNA Chromecast-2 DIAL 4 wireless Casting h3nap04-apt
    6c:ad:f8:94:55:d4 10.3.4.54 DLNA Chromecast DIAL 4 wireless Casting h3sap02-apt
    80:d2:1d:00:b9:e12 10.3.4.9 DLNA Chromecast-2 DIAL 4 wireless Casting m3nap02-apt
    d0:e7:82:f6:70:2a 10.3.5.46 mDNS Chromecast googlecast 5 wireless Casting mb3nap03-hall

The devices with DLNA show in the device list. The devices with mDNS show in the Cast Screen list. If one casts from an app like YouTube, the device shows in the Screen Cast view. Interesting.

Robert

• 5.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2015 08:56 PM

You are attempting to cast to the screen? I have this functional on both IAP and controller based deployments. If the SOHO router supports it, have also not had issue in a variey of hotels and public venues. In Chrome, you need to hit the specific tab and then select cast to screen:

cast.png

Once done, it looks like this:

AKchrome.png

Of course, the extensions as referenced above need to be enabled under Airgroup.

Cheers, Adam

• 6.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 19, 2015 09:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. Casting via the Chrome extension from desktops works. Casting from YouTube and Netflix on Android devices works. We are trying to cast the screen of Android devices using the Chromecast app. 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

• 7.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 09:09 AM
    Casting the entire screen is not fully supported on all devices. Currently Nexus is the only fully supported product line.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 8.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 19, 2015 09:15 AM

This feature is supported on a number of devices, including the Nexus. We are testing with various devices supported and unsupported, which includes a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 9. The symptoms are the same.

• 9.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 09:23 AM

rwilsonblue,

I can tell you that the screencast function is buggy even on a simple network without Airgroup.  It is hard to separate what is a bug especially when all other devices stay connected with no issue.  It is certainly not a rock-solid enterprise solution.

• 10.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2015 09:15 AM

I'll echo what Colin stated, tried it on my Samsung S4 (which I use to cast everything else) and I cannot seem to make it work. I'll monkey a little more with it and revert if I'm successful.

Note the project from a Google perspective is cited here: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/list

Some of the specific issues related to the icon missing or the cast function not working is here: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=314

Cheers, Adam

• 11.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 20, 2015 09:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. The link I sent earlier has a link to supported devices. The devices we are testing with have worked fine using consumer grade WIFI routers.

If you don't mind, try this:

1. Get the MAC address of a test chromecast.
    2. Run "clear airgroup server <MAC>"
    3. Run "aaa user delete mac <MAC>"
    4. Run "show airgroup servers | include <MAC>" and look at the chromecast you are trying to cast the screen to.
    5. Look at the Type and the Service fields. 
    6. Cast a YouTube video to the Chromecast.
    7. Run the "show airgroup servers" command again.
    8. Again, look at the Type field and Service fields.

What I'm seeing is initially, the type field is set to DLNA and the Service field is set to DIAL, the Chromecasts show in the Device list, but not in the Cast Screen option. Once I connect from youtube or netflix, the type field changes to mDNS and the Service field changes to googlecast. At that point, the Chromecast doesn't show in the Device list, but is available in the Cast Screen option. Other funky things include the chromecast names in the airgroup servers list. Sometimes the assigned names show. Shometimes they use generic names like Chromecast or Chromecast-1.

TAC responded and said they can't reproduce the problem. Joy. We'll talk sometime today.

• 12.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 20, 2015 09:43 AM

While looking into this, I ran across these URLs that might be of interest. IPADRESS is the IP address of the Chromecast.

http://IPADDRESS:8008/ssdp/device-desc.xml

http://IPADDRESS:8008/setup/eureka_info?options=detail

• 13.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:05 PM

TAC has reported being able to duplicate this issue. 

• 14.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 08, 2015 10:21 AM

TAC reports this will be resolved in an upcoming 6.4.3 release.

• 15.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:20 PM

I am late to this party, but i am glad i saw this thread.  I have been having this issue and thought i was going crazy.  Thanks for following up and updating the thread!  

• 16.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:11 AM

we have a large campus, and when a user goes to look for a device to chromecast to, they see a list full (not just the devices close to them in RF range) and so they cannot find their respective device.

please assist as to how to get the displayed list to the user, reduced to only devices in range.

• 17.  RE: Screencast to Chromecast

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 12:20 PM

@paulc3 wrote:

we have a large campus, and when a user goes to look for a device to chromecast to, they see a list full (not just the devices close to them in RF range) and so they cannot find their respective device.

please assist as to how to get the displayed list to the user, reduced to only devices in range.

This should be in a new thread, as the assistance needed is different than the original topic.